9

Fred

"How much longer?" Mom groaned, earning a sigh from me.

"Mom," I bit, looking back at her, "we're not even halfway through yet."

"Maybe hiking wasn't the best idea for family fun," she muttered, kicking dirt around.

"How old are you?" Dad deadpanned, looking over at her.

Mateo lifted his eyebrows and sighed. "Can we please just go?"

"You guys are total slackers," Rose yelled, gripping her hips.

I looked up to find her about three hundred feet in front of us. "Sorry, Rose, your mother's not wanting to participate in the fun."

Rose shrugged, jogging up the rest of the hill. "I'm not waiting on you guys."

"Mom, just come on," I said, looking over at her.

"You seem to forget that I'm old, Freddy," she said, "I'm not a spring chicken like you. And neither is your father. In any way."

Dad looked over at her. "I'm doing just fine."

Adora pulled her sunglasses off of her face, resting her hands on her hips. "I'm not standing here and listening to you two argue for any longer. We're moving with or without you."

Alexis giggled and jogged up the hill, locking arms with Rose.

"See? She's pregnant and doing that shit," I said, "so come on."

I boosted Arabella up on my back, earning a giggle. "You must be strong, Freddy."

"Yes, I am definitely that," I said, "one time, Lena ordered this huge couch while Jo was away-"

"Oh, my gosh," Lena muttered, placing her sunglasses on her face.

"And I pretty much moved that entire thing by myself."

"That's not true," she said, shaking her head, "I had one end."

"It is true," I whispered.

"How are babies made?" Arabella confidently asked, resting her chin on my shoulder.

"Uh, rain check," Dad said, nodding.

"You check if it's raining to have a baby?"

Jo bursted out in laughter. "It's a vital part, Ari."

"Shut up," Dad sneered, giving Jo's shoulder a good shove. He chuckled and Lena grabbed his arm before he could fall.

"Really?" Arabella asked, looking at me.

"Something like that, kiddo," I said, letting out a heavy sigh as I got ready to take on the hill in front of me.

"Come on, scaredy cat," Rose yelled.

"Why don't you come get the kid off of my back and try it?" I bit back, looking up at her.

"Well, you're supposed to be this big, macho man. I'm dying to see it in the flesh."

She folded her arms over her chest after slipping her sunglasses down on her face. She was an absolute spitting image of Mom, definitely in this moment.

"Alright," I said, nodding, "you owe me twenty bucks when I make it up the hill without panting."

Rose nodded. "You're on."

I jogged up the hill, chuckling when I made it to the top with ease. "Ha."

"Wow, you won twenty bucks. Like you needed it," she said. She took a step closer, gasping. "Is that... heavy breathing?"