8. "It smells like jealousy"

"Don't say anything" I told my dad as I entered his car. 

He huffed in anger and started the car. The principal called him so they could talk. Hero and I ended up getting one day of suspension. When the principal saw me, he gave me one more day because he realized I had cut my skirt shorter, so it was two days for me.

He drove in silence for a little while until we stoped on a red light.

Then he exploded.

"What is wrong with you, Josephine? Seriously what went wrong with you? You got suspended!" He yelled.

"I didn't deserve it" I simply said looking outside of the window, not even having the courage to look at him.

"You made a scene in front of the whole class! You called your teacher an ignorant ass!" 

"That's because she is"

"And you cut your skirt? Why are you behaving like this?"

We heard a corn from the back and we realized the green line was back on so we had to move.

"I'm just standing up for what I believe in, dad. I'm not letting anyone, not even a teacher talk the way she did"

"You are so stubborn. You definitely took that from your mom. There is no other explanation" he muttered.

"Can we not talk about mom right now?" I pleaded.

"That's why she shipped you here. Cause she can't stand not even a second anymore. And now I understand why" he yelled at my face.

This is the best thing you want to hear from your dad. Thanks.

He didn't even say sorry. He just moved on with driving.

When we reached home he grounded me in front of everyone. Jack started laughing and Tina stayed silent.

Like I was going to listen to him.

At around 6PM I snack out and went to the beach. As I reached the place I spotted the one person I wanted to see.

Hero was sitting on his usual rock, headphone on his ears, no book in his hands. He was looking at the waves as usual.

I approached him and sat down next to him. He stayed silent for a few minutes just enjoying each others presence.

"My mom thinks you are a bad influence" he said.

My breath was caught in my throat.

"And so does Mercy" he continued.

I raised my eyebrows at this.

I tapped his shoulder so he could look at me. "I'm sorry for getting you into this mess. I was just trying to help" I signed.

"That's what you always do, right?" He asked. "Trying to help. Sometimes you need to understand that not everyone needs your help, Jo"

"Are you in trouble?"

"Not really. Just some extra chores" he replied. "You?"

"My dad wants to disown me"

He laughed thinking it was a joke. When he saw my serious face he stopped.

"Seriously" I said.

"Oh"

"He hates me. And my mom. And they also hate each other" I rolled my eyes remembering their arguments.

"I'm sorry" he said. 

"Not your fault"

He motioned for me to come closer and when I did he gave me one of his headphones. I was suddenly met with a really upbeat rap music. I looked at him amused but he probably didn't even realize the music was different.