Part 12

"Hey Jay, I'm gonna run out to the store, can you stay here with Char?" I asked putting on my shoes. I hadn't gone grocery shopping for myself in probably a week and a half. Yeah Zack And Rian went but they got mostly odds and ends not meals stuff.

"Yeah I can do that." He nodded, sitting on the couch probably looking at Twitter or Instagram. Charlie sat watching Mickey Mouse; TV is very intriguing to her. She has no interest for phone games or phones in general but kids TV seems to be her jam.

"Char, I'm gonna go to the store. I'll be back in a little bit, you're gonna stay here with Jack. Okay?" I asked as she looked over at me from the TV. She sighed and nodded softly. I could tell she was apprehensive about me leaving but it's necessary. She needs to know she can trust me in the fact that I will always come back. I am not going to walk out on her.

"Kiddo, I'm gonna to come back. I promise. You can trust me." I smiled, getting down to her level. She looked at me and took a deep breath.

"Alex... overwhelmed..." she mumbled with tears in her eyes. I understood the separation anxiety and fear. Make this a learning moment... make this a growth moment.

"Hey that's okay. But let's talk this through before we get upset." I started, she nodded still visible upset. But listening.

"I will always come back. You do not need to worry that I wouldn't. You can trust me. You don't need to be afraid, you are not alone. You are going to be here with Jack. You are okay. Okay?" I explained because I know she needs to be able to trust me. She needs someone she can trust.

"But Jack isn't you... what if something happens and I need you?" She asked wrapping her arms around my neck, holding onto my shirt collar. Now that's something that pulls on your heartstrings.

"Well then you can ask Jack to call me and we can talk, Okay? I will always answer for you love." I continued in hopes of soothing her anxiety.

"Don't go," she cried holding tightly onto my shirt, I stood up and held her. I can't let her think this is the "way" to get what she wants. I looked at Jack and he nodded in understanding. He stood up too and walked over, reaching out to take Char from me.

"Come on Char, lets sit and watch TV." Jack suggests, trying to distract her to no avail. She cried as she moved from me to Jack, she cling to my shirt as if it was life or death.

"Alex stay..." she cried as I quickly left the house trying not to feel like the biggest asshole in the world. I just made a little girl who's whole life has been a roller coaster cry hysterically. But greater good. It's necessary. At least that's what I can tell myself.

Alex: that was heart wrenching

I texted Jack well trying not to cry in my car. Its been long time since I've cried in a car like this. All she was talking about was normal things, she was worried she would need me. A typical ask from a 3 year old, she wants someone she can trust to be around and support her. But she needs to be able to trust others and trust that I will make the right choices in who will be around. I know she trusts Jack, we all know that but she trusts me most, I guess.

Jack's POV

"Charlie, it's okay," I tried to sooth her as Alex closed the door behind him. We went back to the couch and I sat with her in my lap, she stopped crying but she did pout for a little while more. After about 10 minutes she decided to move back to her spot and watch Mickey again.

"Kiddo, want a snack?" I asked getting up to walk into the kitchen. She shook her head and looked back at the TV.

"Drink?" I continued, she thought for a minute and then nodded.

"Juice?" I suggested knowing she had water with breakfast, she nodded again. I walked into the kitchen and thought. What can I do to make this better? Alex definitely needs to get more kid friendly things; definitely coloring stuff, some more toys to keep around, books, and maybe dress up clothes. Oh she, well we, would love that. Tea parties. That will be a great thing. I grabbed a Capri sun from the box Zack and Rian had bought, then walking back into the den as my phone started ringing from the couch. I put the juice down on the ottoman before quickly grabbing my phone to see Rian's name flash across the screen.

"Hey man, what's up?" I smiled looking at Char watching television and fidgeting with her fingers.

"Not much, I'm gonna head over you Lexi's house in a couple minutes. You wanna meet me there?" He asked, I laughed.

"I've been here all morning dude! We had breakfast and Lex ran out to the store for groceries. I'm here with kiddo, who is N-O-T H-A-P-P-Y." I felt very adult spelling out words, a big thing our parents used to do and now I am. That's kinda cool.

"Oh I can see that. Is it because Alex left?" He continued, I hummed a yes as Charlie stood up and walked to the stairs.

"Where ya going kiddo?" I asked tilting my head, she turned and looked at me.

"I have to pee!" She groaned as if I was telling her the sky was green not blue. I laughed lightly at her.

"There's a bathroom down here too, silly. You don't need to go all the way up stairs." I enlighten her, she drew her eye brows together and went looking for the bathroom.

"I gotta go, she might go pee in the coat closet." I chuckled jumping up from the couch.

"Wow now you're in our position now. How many closets have I stopped you from peeing in? I'll see you guys soon." He laughed, it's pretty true. I'm a fun drunk.

"Kiddo, you find the bathroom?" I called putting my phone down on the ottoman and walking to the hall.

"Yeah." She replied behind the door, I heard the toilet flush and then she opened the door.

"I can't reach the sink." Her way of asking for help, naming her problem. I nodded and picked her up, holding her on my hip.

"Alex's has to get you some step stools, huh?" I asked, she nodded as she washed her hands. After she had dried her hands she laid her head on me and yawned.

"You tired kiddo? Is it nap time?" I asked turning off the bathroom light and walking back into the den. She nodded lightly, I smiled at the cuteness of the moment.

"Where do you want to go? Your room?" I continued, knowing she'd spent the night in Alex's room but maybe we can work this into a routine. She can spend the night with Alex until she feel comfortable but she can nap in her room to gain that comfort in her own room. When I didn't get a response, I looked down to find her on the edge of asleep.

"Gosh you're just adorable.." I grinned, I decided to take her up to her room but as I put her down I realized there wasn't a coziness to her bed so I walked to Alex's and grabbed the blanket she had this morning along with her bunny. I walked back and tucked her underneath the blanket and placed bunny cuddled near her.

"Kiddo, uncle Jack for the win right?" I whispered then turned off the light and going back downstairs, sitting on the couch.

Jack: down for a nap, prettyyyy adorable!

—————
Hi friend, I'm really LIVING for Wake Up, Sunshine at the moment. My favorite songs are Safe, Glitter and Crimson, and of course basement noise just HITS DIFFERENT. What's your thoughts? Favorite songs? Top three?

Oh and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K VIEWS ON THIS STORY!!