Chapter I : The Sleepless Night

*Soundtrack for this episode - above link* (The Story Never Ends by Lauv)

The patter of raindrops accompanied by the loud rumbling sound startles Aahana as she wakes up with a jolt, covered in her own sweats. Her eyes fixates upon the droplets on the windowpane which lights up as it slowly slides down the glass followed by the sound of thunder again.

It happened again.
The blurry, hazy dream she couldn't figure out. Every attempt of avoiding this pointless thought that kept on recurring  was in vain.

Pointless. Ludicrous. Senseless. Stupid.

That's what it is. That's what everyone says it was. Until she stopped questioning and pretended that it didn't exist anymore.

It was the right thing to do.
Of course, it was.

As the lighting strikes again she places her headphones on, raising the volume to its highest limit, letting Lauv's voice take over her mind completely.

For some reason, she couldn't bear the sound of thunder and was terrified of it and she gave up trying to search for the answer to this question as it always lead her to a dead end.

Pointless. She accepted at last.

The only thing that bothered her was the same question that keeps lurking.

Why only after that incident?

Music.

That was something which calmed her a bit during this time. Although apart from it,the presence of someone helped her get through it a lot quicker. The only person who knew about this fear of hers.

She glances at her phone one more time but then decides against it. She couldn't bother him with this everytime. Shutting her eyes, she focuses instead on the soothing melody which slowly fades the sound of the thunder roaring outside.

Although, she is distracted as soon as the phone vibrates beside her.She opens the text message that had just arrived.

You okay?
-Jay

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After taking a long cold shower, Jason walks towards his bed taking out his favourite book from the shelf while getting under the covers.

He went to Steffs with his teammates and stayed there late as he needed something to let go of his stress after the football practice.

Being fed up the whole day with the coach's snark remarks about his drifting focus at the game and his father's bickering about the football scholarship at UCLA, this particular moment of sitting on the bed with his favourite book in hand seemed to be the most relaxing part of the day.

If only I could do this often.

Nobody at Crescent High knew that the captain of their football team,the most popular guy at school with the constant smile on his face was actually living his entire life behind a mask hiding himself from the real world- a life of dilemma where he's stuck between his father's dreams and his own.

After an hour of reading, as his mind finally calms down, his thoughts are interrupted by the sound of thunder and his gaze immediately lands upon the window across his room.He looks at the window facing him, of the girl next door, the only person who knows the real Jason Reynolds and understands him better than anyone else.

Wondering if he should check up on her he looks at the phone beside him, glancing at the black screen for some time. He knew he shouldn't barge in after what she told him few months ago.

However, before his mind begins to overflow with thoughts he gives up.

He picks up his phone sending a quick text to her. Not even a second later his phone beeps.

I'm alright Jay..I told you already not to worry so much..it's gone.
-Ana

He texts back instantly.

Why are you still awake this late then?- Jay

Was doing my homework. I'm too sleepy right now Jay. Talk to you tomorrow ?? - Ana

Jay scrunches his eyebrows as he knew she was lying.Her lights were turned off for the past hour.Lying wasn't her forte.He knew that better than anyone else.But he still trusted her enough to believe when she said that it was over.

Was it really?

There was always a hint of doubt whenever she's acted this way.
But the trust was what made him let go of this confusion.

Yeah sure..Good night Ana :-)

Goodnight Jay :-)

                    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

As she read the text, a feeling of guilt and regret washed over her. She didn't wish to lie to him everytime but she couldn't do that to him anymore. With all the things that's going on in his life, her problems were something which were least needed to be involved in his life again. She knew that he would find out about it someday but she had no other choice but to keep it hidden from him as long as possible.

But, the only question was.....

For how long??

Hello everyone!!Please share your views about the first chapter.
Do vote, comment and share if you like it😊😊