Into the Woods

The sound of snapping twigs and rustling leaves echoed through the forest as the group trudged along. Eliza had taken the lead with Zed and Bucky flanking her. Bonzo and Bree had taken the rear, watching to make sure no one wandered to far off from the group.

A low growl rumbled in Zed's chest and he glanced at his Z-band nervously in response. The screen was flickering even more erratically than before and the dark veins in his skin were becoming more visible. It wouldn't be long til they all went full zombie.

"How much farther Eliza?" Zed asked, trying to hide the nervousness in his voice.

She sighed. "I can't give you an exact measurement without my laptop, but we should be getting close."

"Well I don't know if you've realized," Bucky cut in. "but you're both not looking too good."

Zed looked over at Eliza and she flashed him a knowing look before looking towards the group and back at him. He didn't need words to know what she meant. They needed to warn the group. The time was coming.

"Guys," Zed called out, getting everyone's attention. "I don't want to scare you, but our Z-bands are going to go offline very soon."

A nervous murmur echoed through the crowd and Zed could feel the fear emminating from his classmates, and he couldn't blame them. Going Zombie was scary, even when it was under control.

"I know we're going to look scary, like monsters." Zed admitted. "But just remember that behind that, it's still us; Eliza, Bonzo, and me. Your friendly neighborhood zombies."

Most of the group cracked a smile at Zed's attempt to lighten the mood, making him feel a little better. He hoped that being warned in advance would minimize the group's panic when the time came.

He felt a hand pat his back reassuringly and looked up to see Bucky had moved over to walk beside him.

"You've got this." Bucky assured him. "I know you guys will be able to handle it."

Zed nodded. "Yeah, thanks."

"Hey," Bucky smirked. "Either way I'm a dead man if something happens to you. What do you you think would be worse? Having my brain eaten or getting murdered by Addison?"

Zed couldn't help but chuckle. "I'd go with Addison, she can really pack a punch when she wants to."

"Speaking from experience?" Bucky questioned.

Zed nodded. "Yeah, let's just say our first meeting wasn't love at first sight, more like fist to face."

"Ouch." Bucky grimaced. "Remind me not to get on Addison's bad side."

Zed rolled his eyes and flashed Bucky a 'like you haven't been on it before' look causing the former cheer captain to sigh.

"Not a word." Bucky grumbled as Zed snickered in response.

"Knock it off you two." Eliza huffed. "This isn't the time for games."

The boys mumbled their apologies and Zed turned to look back at the group. He could easily make out Bonzo's head and shoulders towering over the back of the group. The normally happy go lucky zombie wore a distant look, causing Zed to frown.

Going zombie was scary, but it was even scarier for Bonzo. The big guy was a gentle giant who loved hugs and being surrounded by people. Since the day they Zombied out at the football game and went to Zombie containment, the big guy was terrified of having it happen again. All Bonzo had told him was it gave him feelings that went against his normal nature, and that was enough for Zed to know that the moment had left a lasting impact.