Day 5: Tuesday

"Scan complete," Friday announced and the scan of Peter's body came up one the screen and everyone turned to look at it.
"His lungs have healed," Bruce said in surprise. "His left ventricle is still damaged but his lungs are fully repaired."
"Can we take him off the ventilator?" Tony asked simply.
"Yeah, it all looks good," Bruce said and Dr Cho began setting up.
"Is it going to hurt him?" May asked as she moved so that she was standing beside Peter.
"It might be uncomfortable for him and he'll have a sore throat afterwards but it shouldn't be painful."
"Hold on. You're going to wake him up?" Tony asked.
"We're going to give him something to bring him to a higher state of consciousness, which will make it easier for Peter to breathe on his own once we've taken the tube out. There is a chance that he could wake up as we take the tube out," Bruce answered as he got a syringe ready.
"Oh Peter," May said as she stroked her hand through Peter's hair.
"You've got this kid," Tony said as he put a hand onto Peter's leg as Bruce finished injecting Peter.
"Are you ready Bruce?"
"Yep. Ok, here we go," Bruce said as he held onto the tube that was poking out of Peter's mouth. He began to pull the tube out and Peter stirred.
"Urgh," He groaned.
"Shhh, you're ok, you're ok," May said as she acted instinctively. Peter gagged as the ventilator was eased out of his throat.
"Easy does it, easy now. You're doing great Peter," Bruce said.
"You're doing so well Peter, it's almost out," May said. Peter continued to gag and cough as the tube came out of his throat and Bruce handed it to Dr Cho.
"There we go kid, there we go," Tony reassured Peter.
"Deep breaths Peter. Take some deep breaths for me," Bruce said softly. Peter tried to breathe in but all he could do was cough. May's heart was tight in her chest as she watched Peter. She wanted to help him but knew that there was nothing that she could do. Peter managed to take some shallow breaths in.
"That's it Peter, that's it," May said as Peter gasped and finally took a deep breath in.
"Welcome back to the land of the living kid," Tony said and May gasped in relief as Peter breathed for himself after 5 days of stress and worry. Peter felt strange and his body was numb. His chest throbbed slightly with pain but all he could do was look up. He felt pure oxygen rush down his nasal cavity and into his lungs as Bruce placed an oxygen tube across his nose.
"Hi," May said and Peter moved his eyes to look at her. "Hi Peter," May said again in joy.
"May," Peter whispered. Man, he sounded awful. His voice was chesty and broken.
"You can talk," May said, filled with excitement that Peter was awake. "You scared me so much darling."
"...Sorry," Peter struggled to say after a moment and May kissed him.
"You never need to say sorry to me," May said with her hand still resting in his hair.
"Try not to talk Peter, your throat will be sore from the tube," Bruce told Peter and he moved his eyes to look at Bruce. "Your voice will come back, just take it easy ok?" Bruce said and Peter nodded.
"Hey Pete," Tony said, shaking Peter's leg to indicate his position. "I'm glad that you're ok kid. We'll talk more when you feel better ok?" Peter opened his hand and Tony looked at it. Peter then curled his fingers in. "So you were awake kid," Tony said and Peter nodded.
"I'm. He. Here," Peter struggled to say and May stroked his hair.
"We never left," May said as a tear ran down Peter's face. May kissed his forehead again and Tony closed Peter's fist.
"I'll see you soon kid," Tony said before he left the room.
"Tired," Peter whispered. May sat on the bed and brought the blanket up so that it covered Peter's shoulders.
"Go to sleep Peter and I'll be right here when you wake up," May told him.
I love you, Peter mouthed before he closed his eyes and began to drift off to sleep.
"I love you too."
//
Tony closed the door to the lab and faced the Avengers, who had heard what was going on and had huddled around the door, anxious for news about Peter.
"Peter's awake. He's off the ventilator and he can breathe on his own," Tony told them.
"That's fantastic Tony."
"That's really good."
"Yeah, that's great news Tony," Steve said as he put his hand onto Tony's shoulder.
"Is he in any pain?"
"We can't be having that," Thor said.
"No, he's not in any pain."
"Fantastic!"
"Lets get you a drink Tony," Steve said and Tony smiled.
"Yeah, nice plan Steve," Tony said and they all went through to the lounge.