Ch 9 - Dry

Cody's parents sat with him on his bed. His legs lay stretched out before him, uncooperative in their movements. Mr. Wheatly had left over an hour ago, assuring Cody he'd talk to Jess. It wasn't like the young merman had planned for any of this to happen.

Now, after talking to his parents, he knew he would have made the same choice over and over again. He was a merman and that's how he'd reacted. Maybe not shattering the lights, but definitely diving into the water.

"Try your current again." His dad watched his son, uncertain what to do.

Nodding, Cody put his hands together one more time, his parents bracing him as he gritted his teeth. He felt a little strength return to his legs, but then he was drained and fell back against his pillow. After taking a breather, he tried to bend his knees and ankles and felt them respond a little better.

"Get some rest." Mrs. Griffith ran a gentle hand through his sandy blonde hair. She noticed once more how long it was getting. She'd have to remember to cut it tomorrow.

'Thanks,' Cody thought. The tiredness he felt in his limbs seeped into his thoughts. 'For everything.' His dad helped him slide under his covers and then they let him be.

-TSLOF-

In the morning, Sean sat at his breakfast, alone in the large house. His dad had left for work an hour ago, as usual. This had been their routine since he was twelve and his mom had left them. His toast was long cold, but he didn't care. He was too consumed with his thoughts to be thinking about much else.

There was something freaky going on with Cody. He didn't believe for a second the story of him suffering a head injury and then suddenly becoming mute. He'd looked it up on his dad's laptop. The research behind it seemed unfounded.

Despite his popular jock status, Sean was clever and usually achieved good grades. Cody had always been the one in their rivalry who had struggled. Now he was more behind than usual. Sean could only guess that if his parents had been home schooling him, he would at least be somewhat caught up.

That was the other thing that seemed off. If Cody had been home schooled, Sean would have at least seen him around town. Even though Cody lived out on the island, he would have gone to the mainland once in a while and Sean would have seen him. Or he would have at least heard more about him from Sam. Instead it was as if he'd just disappeared. He remembered asking Sam once, and she'd said he was around somewhere. Sounded like a complete evasion to him.

He shoveled another mouthful of cereal into his mouth, his toast officially abandoned. He'd seen the three of them swimming at Sam's house earlier that month. The way Cody could hold his breath, and swim so quickly – something about him seemed so different – and off. And what exactly happened at the pier yesterday? One minute he had him cornered for answers, and the next lights were exploding and Cody was gone. To where, Sean had no idea. He glanced towards the kitchen countertop where his former friend's backpack slumped in a heap. At least he had collateral. It stood to reason that Cody would come looking for it. He wanted to track him down first; maintain the upper hand. That was probably the only way he was going to get real answers.

He had riffled through the bag when he had first picked it up and taken it home. The tablet Cody always used in class was in there, easy to unlock without a password. He wasn't too sure if he was going to give it back. If he didn't it would force Cody to talk to him - prove that he really wasn't mute. If he just got him worked up enough, the guy was bound to slip up, he was sure of it.

Sean smiled around another soggy spoonful of raisin bran. Yes, this was going to be interesting.

-TSLOF-