1 - Milk

Well shit. 

I stare down at the two pink lines, they're almost mocking me with how pink they are. 

It's not that I don't want kids, because trust me I do, just the timing isn't right. My boyfriend and I have only been together for six months and haven't really talked about kids and marriage, although now we don't have much of a choice.

I lean against the wall needing the support, trying to figure out if the pressure I feel means I'm about to cry or need to scream. 

Maybe both. 

I take a couple of deep breaths before pocketing the toilet paper wrapped test and stepping out of my offices' private bathroom. I can hear the bustling bakery through the door, but I make no moves to join them. 

I sit at my desk and make a call to my OB/GYN's office hoping they have a spot for me to get checked out. As I confirm my appointment for two days from now, this is all seeming more real.

I slump in my desk chair and stay put until someone knocks on the door, bringing me out of my thoughts. 

"Yeah, come in." I organize some of the papers on my desk. 

"Hey, you doing alright in here?" In walks Tammy, my best friend. She works at the bakery some weekends, as she has a full-time job during the week at the bank. 

"Yeah, I was just doing some paperwork." I refer to the papers covering the desk, not ready to tell anyone anything until I see a doctor.

"I'm surprised you're not out there baking or trying some weird recipes." She laughs sitting on one of the chairs in front of the desk.

"Listen if it works on Chopped then I can make it work here." I stand suddenly needing to get out of this room. 

"Ha, you're gonna need a new guinea pig then." Tammy follows me out to the now calm kitchen.

Now that the evening rush is over everyone is just cleaning up before we officially close. 

"Any idea what Justin has planned for your anniversary tomorrow? Six months that's so exciting!" She squeals still following behind me. 

"I have no idea, he won't say a thing." Everyone finishes quickly and soon enough it's just me and Tammy in the shop. 

We talk for a little longer before heading to our separate homes. 

I unlock the door to my apartment, silent and empty. It's times like these I wish I had a dog or something to greet me and make things less quiet around here.

Though Justin and I have been dating for six months tomorrow, early on in the relationship we decided to go slow with everything hence why we haven't moved in with each other though we have had the occasional sleepover. 

The fetus currently growing inside me sure does put a change to those plans though. After changing out of the clothes I wore at the bakery I turn on the Food Network and begin Googling everything under the sun there is to know about pregnancy. 

The next day my ringing phone wakes me, I fumble around trying to find it before pressing the green answer button mumbling something which resembles a 'hello'. 

"Hey, babe, happy six months. You awake yet?" 

"Huh?" I'm not sure what time it is, but it feels much too early to try and have any conversations

"I guess that answers that question."

My brain eventually registers that it's Justin's voice coming through the phone.