Five

All day, the only thing on my mind was my interaction with Tay at lunch

All day, the only thing on my mind was my interaction with Tay at lunch. The news surprised me when I first heard it, but I wasn't sure if it was true. When I ran into Tay in the hall earlier, his quick joke, and the fact that he only stared blankly at nothing the whole lunch period erased my suspicions.

Everyone is on edge because Tay's blindness is a reminder that the same accident could have happened to anyone. Not only that, our strongest running back is now out of commission, which isn't only bad for our school. Tay loves football, but now he can't play it. He was good enough to go pro, but now the possibility of an NFL career was taken from him. That's heartbreaking.

The most shocking thing, though – the thought that was running through my head all day on loop – was that he remembers me. I didn't have to remind him who I am. He recognized my voice, even though we haven't talked to each other in person in a while.  We were close as kids, but since high school started and we found our own separate friend groups, we'd let communications down, save for the texts over the summer. Maybe now that his friends have started to assimilate me into their group, we'll have a chance at being close again.

As I walk down the hall, footsteps echo behind me. The closer each step sounds, the more anxiety pools in the pit of my stomach. I have an idea of who it is, but no clue what he wants. I just want to be left alone.

"Emori!" The voice makes me cringe, but I still turn to face its owner with a forced smile.

"Hey, Travis. You need something?" All of my muscles threaten to tense up and calming down is next to impossible. He's been hanging around me all day, but hasn't said much to me, besides 'introducing' me to everyone.

He approaches me with his football gear slung over his shoulder. "There's gonna be a party later tonight for Tay. He had a panic attack at lunch and we're hoping a party will make him feel better."

I snort at him. Does he really think Tay wants a party right now? Does Tay look like he wants to be around a bunch of people who have no clue what he's going through? Earlier in the cafeteria was enough evidence to prove he doesn't. If anyone can get him to go to that party, it will surprise me. Unless they trick him into showing up, force will be the only way.

Plus, first day of school or not, Monday parties aren't normal. No one ever has parties on a Monday. We can't drink a lot, and if anyone does, then they're going to regret it tomorrow.

"I don't know about that." I've never been invited to a party. Tay never seemed to make a big deal out of them and no one else I knew was in the in-crowd. At least with Tay there, I'll have someone to hang out with, so I won't be alone. Though, going with someone as popular as him means people will talk, and I probably won't like anything they have to say.

"Please? I know you and Tay used to be close and he's never treated you badly. Hell, I wish I could say the same for myself. And this is his first party since the accident. I know it will be good for someone other than me and Jackson to be there for him." He looks down at me, his dark eyes pleading. The tone of his voice catches me off guard, and I stand still in silence as I stare up at him. I can see why his spot on the student council has been his for years. He's good as hell at convincing people to do whatever he needs. "I know you probably hate me. But this isn't for me. It's for him."