Eighteen

"Let's talk

"Let's talk." The message comes through my phone with a sharp ping, and when Siri reads it, I rip my phone out of my pocket.

Travis wants to talk. He's actually giving me a chance to apologize. Thank the Lord. It's my lunch period, so the timing is damn near perfect. Last time I asked to talk, he ignored every one of my texts.

"Where?" I say into my phone.

"How about right here?" Travis's voice makes me jump. I didn't realize how close he was. Or that he was even in my vicinity. His footsteps get closer before he stops inches from me.

The hall is silent for a moment. It's just us. Everyone else is already at their next class or lunch. Just as I'm sure I was hearing things, arms wrap around me, and my chest hits something hard. Probably Travis's shoulders.

I stand stock-still for a second before returning the embrace. What was that for? I thought he wanted to talk. We haven't hugged since... since I came home from the hospital, battered and bruised.

"I understand why you were mad, and I forgive you. You're going through something I can't begin to comprehend, and I treated you like shit." The vibration of his voice buzzes off my shoulder as he speaks. "I shouldn't have been so hard on you."

I pull back from the hug and furrow my eyebrows. "What... what changed your mind?" Travis isn't one to change his mind easily. I know that better than anyone.

"You have Emori to thank for that. She found out what happened and set me straight." A rustling sound comes from his clothing as he shifts. "She really cares about you, you know."

"I know," I say. I may not have noticed that much over these past few years, but she's made that clear recently.

"Hey, you wanna go to Tia Mia's during free period? Parker and the guys'll be there."

"Sure." Who can pass up a chance to get some of the best burgers in town?

"Awesome!" He slaps me on the shoulder. "Meet me by the front entrance. Me or Parker will be there."

His footsteps pad away as he leaves me to stand in the hallway by myself. I half pray for someone to walk past, but as soon as I hear Mr. Golde call for me, I regret my wish. It just had to be a teacher. I tilt my head toward the sky, asking, 'why?'

"How are you doing, Tay? What happened to your friends?"

I wait until he catches up before responding. "I guess they had other things to do. They shouldn't have to babysit me all the time." I send him a smile to ensure he doesn't take it as disrespect. The guys have other friends than me and I respect that.

"I see." I can hear the frown in his voice. "In any case, why don't you have lunch with me? I was just on my way to meet with your father to discuss plans for my bachelor's party."