Twenty-Four

The party has only just begun, but I already find myself searching for Asa

The party has only just begun, but I already find myself searching for Asa. After the money reveal yesterday, Tay has been in a good mood. A good enough mood to go to a party and actually interact with the people at it. His happiness is written all over his face, and it's a much better look than the depressed, dejected look he usually has on his face nowadays. And as much as I want to enjoy his mood, I want to see Asa as well. Even if it might not end well for either of us.

Throwing a half-hearted excuse at Tay that I'm not sure is heard, I hop off the tailgate of Travis's truck and start to cross the field. When I catch sight of Asa, my stride stutters.

Since the lake, my mind has been so frazzled from trying to sort my thoughts out that I've barely had enough brain power to complete my schoolwork. In fact, I barely have enough brain power to even be at this party right now.

I push past a tipsy girl in front of me to reach the other end of the field. She turns quickly, almost falling over, and slurs out a quick "Excuse me" before turning to talk to her friend again.

Turning away from her, I cringe. How can she be drunk so early in the night? She must have started drinking before the party.

"Asa," I say when I reach him.

His head snaps up from his conversation with Toni and his eyes connect with mine. Nervous anticipation glints in his blue irises as he examines my face. "Hey," he replies, smiling.

Tonie remains rooted in her spot with her arms crossed over her chest as she watches me with interest. I send her a look, and she sighs and rolls her eyes before walking over to Angel.

Left alone with Asa, my heart thumps loudly in my chest. He's left his hair blonde like he said he would, and the way he looks at me dries my tongue and lodges the words in my throat. I drop my gaze to my feet to prepare myself for what I need to say.

"I know what you're going to say," he says.

My head tilts up in surprise. I try to speak but he cuts me off.

"I know you and Tay are..." he trails off, his eyes finding Tay in the distance. "...whatever you are. But just for once, can the underdog win?." He closes the distance between us and cups my face with his hands. His eyes search mine and the sullen anticipation on his face squeezes my heart in a vice grip. He presses his lips to mine, quickly, like he's afraid it will be the last time he does.

I swallow the lump in my throat and pull away. Tears sting my eyes. I blink quickly and take a staggered step back.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, barely audible but somehow, I'm sure he heard me. I turn to face him again despite the aching in my heart telling me not to. It'll only make it harder to leave.

He blinks with red, watery eyes, pressing his lips into a tight line. "Don't be. It's always been him and you. Even then."

"Emori!" Travis calls in the distance, waving his hand in my direction to get my attention.