Chapter 5 - Hey

Susan: So
Who won?
You or him?

It was 1 AM, approximately 6 hours after Austin left. Probably the longest day of my life, except an hour or two spent with Austin. One part of the day went wondering about how it would go when Austin comes and the other part wondering about what all happened when he came. I couldn't wait for another day before getting things off my head so I messaged Susan. After asking her whether everything was fine in her home, I was amidst narrating her what happened in the day. I would have preferred telling her face to face, though.

Me: Hate to say it, but I lost.

Well, it was about luck. I couldn't have done anything else. As Austin proceeded with taking a look into my room, it looked as if he was trying to search something. His deep eyes stopped at my diary. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as he took it in his hands, but he kept it after tearing a page. I told myself to calm down.

"Au..s..tin. Ja..n..e" he recited slowly while writing our names in two separate chits and brought them forward to me for choosing.

My heart throbbed. I wasn't as nervous when I was going to have my first kiss. My hands were trembling as I opened the chit.

"What is it?" He asked.
I was just numb. I didn't know how to feel as a little part of me wanted him to stay and a greater part wanted him to go. I didn't speak so he opened the chit in his hands and said, "I got Jane so you got Austin. AUSTIN FUCKING SMITH. YESSS."

He stood up on my bed in front of the window and opened his arms like in the film 'Titanic' as if he was acknowledging the audience. Was it from football?

"As always, you lost. This time for the good though," I read Susan's message.

"Let's pretend," I continued, "that you don't always lose to me."

"Should I laugh?" Susan texted.

"If you want to laugh at facts then sure," I replied.

I kept staring at my screen waiting for her text. A message finally came after two minutes, "What were his wishes?"

"Well.. Firstly, He wanted me to give him some time with co-operation before I decide whether I want to be with him or not."

It was really sweet of him to let it still be my decision in the end. It is so evident that most of the boys always want to be dominating in today's world. They rebel when things aren't done in their way. Austin at least didn't seem to be in the category of the people who get the sense of power by imposing themselves even when they are wrong. They say, 'First impression is the last impression', but I still wasn't sure if it was a good idea to give someone a chance to come close to me.

"And the second one?"

"He said that it would come in use later."

"He knows that you are paraplegic?" Susan texted again.

"I don't really know if he knows it yet," I answered. My wheelchair was kept right in front of him and also, the slope made for me were obvious hints, but then, if he knew, why would he still be the person he is? Why would he try to make me feel good.. make me feel beautiful? It had always been a hard truth of my life that normal people didn't like to spent time with me for various reasons. Well, Susan was the only one who wanted to be with me.

"Oscar must be missing me.." I texted her. In reality, I was missing him.
Susan did not reply and 'online' was still being displayed underneath her name. It wasn't the first time when she slept while talking to me at night.

When the game finished, I didn't feel like talking or doing anything. I was just sad to lose. I still tried not to be rude. "Do you write?" Austin asked staring at my diary.

"Some times, I do. Why didn't you play football today?" I said staring at the ground, trying to change the topic.

"Because.. I had to meet you. Do you think I play well?" He had a mysterious look on his face.

"I guess you do," I replied.

"So," Austin said, "you check me out while I am playing too." I wondered whether he ever tried to obliterate the smirk he had on his face when he tried to irritate me. I also wondered whether the way he irritated me came naturally to him or he thought about it beforehand.
"I don't," I stuttered, "I just saw you once after you waved at me. I mean.. I."

Before I could finish, Austin interrupted me. "Wait, I didn't. You did it first," Austin said. He was as calm as he could be.

"I didn't really intend to. I was waving at my best friend." I said looking into his eyes.

The smirk from his face disappeared for a second before he said, "So you consider me your best friend already?" He chuckled a little and seeing me annoyed, he clarified, "kidding."

"Well, I am sorry for the misunderstanding."

"Well, thanks to the misunderstanding." He said and I got my answer whether his way of irritating me was planned or it came naturally to him.

While he was gently staring at me, probably thinking what would he say next, mom came in with two cups of coffee and kept it on the bed between both of us. "Do you need anything else?" Her emerald eyes looking at Austin as she asked.

"Her phone number," Austin murmured just audible enough for both of us. I wasn't going to give him. No.

"0789," Mom said. Austin stood up, turned around and took out the phone from his pocket. Meanwhile, I silently begged her not to give it. I joined my hands and made all sorts of expressions to convince her. Austin gave the phone to her, saying, "Can you type it for me?" and turned around to stand beside her. Looking at the phone screen, mom was smiling and looking at me, Austin was smiling.

I was irritated to death. "Thank you," Austin said, "Thank you so much, Mrs. Smith."

When mom left, I regretted not saying anything to her while she was giving my phone number to him. Austin slowly finished the coffee, smiling widely looking at me and that was troubling me to the core. It was good that he didn't say anything after that until the end because my impertinence would have rained on him.

When he got up, his eyes were delivering eloquent messages to me, I felt that he was waiting for me to stop him from leaving, but I didn't. How could I? It would only be destructive for him. I always have the tendency to mess up things.

"See you soon," he said, "and take care."

"You too," I replied.

"If today were the last day of your life, would you want to do what you are doing today?" He said loudly, closing the door of my room and left without allowing me to answer. It wasn't that I wanted to answer though.

If. Today. were. The. Last. Day. Of. My. Life. Would. I. Want. To. Do. What. I. Am. Doing. Today? I thought I knew how I was going to spend the rest of my night until an unknown number messaged me, "Hey."

****
Don't forget to vote if you are liking the story :)