Chapter 15 - Austin

[Recap- Austin blames Jane's parents for Jaime's death. Jane wonders why is he saying things which are hurting her.]

The lake was still the same, the moon, stars and everything around me was still the same, except Austin. He looked resolute and I could barely understand why was he saying things which were supposed to hurt me. When I did not say anything, he said, "Do you think it was their fault?"

"No," I said.

"So," he said, "you think the fault is yours."

He didn't allow me to speak, held my hand and surprisingly, even though I was miffed and angry at him, I still allowed him to. "You see, it wasn't your fault. You never decide anything in this world. Everything is already written, Jane Brown. We just see ourselves fallen into the abyss sometimes and sometimes, we come in between fate's decree, carrying out something which the fate makes us do. We are more than just bodies made out of flesh and bones, Jane. We have a soul and everyone has a significance in this world, even though we might not always realise it."

Some people possess a power which can make you feel like the world is the shattering down on you, and strangely enough, the same people have the power to make you feel like there is no better feeling in this world at other times. Second side effect of love. Then, I understood why was he saying such hurtful things. To heal me in the long run.
"But... maybe, if I didn't ask him.. nothing would have happened." I said and somehow stopped the tears jutting out of my eyes. I didn't want to cry on a day which was going to be etched in my memory forever.

"I am sorry," he said, "but maybe, if you did not ask him, you wouldn't have the best day of your life and what if he met up an accident on his way back home from school. Then? Then you would have blamed yourself for not inviting him to come with you. Things are bound to happen, Jane. Trust me. If it happened, then it was bound to happen."

"The best day, which turned to the worst," I said while my throat started to get clogged up.

"He is gone now," he said while staring at our hands, holding each other and I realised that I had almost forgotten that we were doing it, "and what can you do to bring him back? If his happiness matters to you or if my happiness matters to you, please break the bars in which you've kept yourself in because that is the only thing that will bring him happiness from wherever he is watching you."
As his words echoed in my head, I refrained from speaking because I was just trying to observe the depth in his words and finally, I nodded.

"Do you think there exists a perfect day?" I asked him. I saw a couple of ducks around us, staring right at us and I wondered how did I not notice them before.

"Well, I'll need to think about it." He started to move the boat and in the midst, I tried to glance at Oscar and he was sitting there, exactly where he was told to and I couldn't help but wish that I could give him a little more time than I used to in the previous days.

"What about you?" He asked as I watched his muscles flex while he drove the boat ahead.

"No.. I don't think there exists a perfect day," I said after taking my time to answer.

"And why do you think that?"

"I am not sure if you'll like to hear my philosophy."

"Music."

"Music?"

"Everything which comes out of your mouth is music to me," he said as I noticed a smile cropping up on my face.

"Don't you think there are better things which could have been done even in your beautiful days?"

"Explain." He smirked.