Chapter 12 - Answer?

Susan was going to be there in less than an hour, at least that's what she said and I knew I had to send Austin as soon as I could. I still wasn't ready for Susan meeting Austin (No, it wasn't insecurity. Austin wasn't my boyfriend.)

Austin was beside me and again, he was just inches away and again, we were holding hands, but differently this time. He was the one who took my hand and not the other way around. As the match approached into the closing minutes, he moved closer to me. The distance which was inches was now no more. He was just beside me, our tangled hands on his thighs and our legs as close to each other. I couldn't feel our legs touching, but it certainly made my heart throb. I could hardly concentrate on the match even though it got more intense and entertaining than before. Our hands and the distance had grabbed my attention like never before. Another thing which had my attention was Susan, which was increasing my restlessness as soon as I would think about her meeting him. And then, my attention shifted towards Austin standing up and letting go of my hand, which desired to be close to him.

It was a goal. A goal by Madrid. 1-2. Just 3 minutes left for the timer to hit 90. Austin looked sad. It looked like a despair had struck him, the smile which used to be there on his face like the leaves on the evergreen trees wasn't there somehow. He didn't speak anything, not even a 'fuck.' He just didn't look at the TV when Madrid celebrated. 'Probably another protocol- Never watch your arch rival celebrate.' I thought. He was now looking at me and I didn't know how to react and what to say, so I just said the monotonous, "We are going to win."

"But how," his voice was more rude than ever, "just around 5 minutes before the game ends."

I wondered why did he say- Five. The players came back to their position and Austin took his place. Far away from me.

"Things can happen in seconds." I watched Barca fiercely attacking Madrid then. Then, I had my fingers crossed as well and somehow I did something which I found 'stupid' or 'naive' just an hour before.

89th minute. Nothing. "Game over," he said.
"Come on.. Come on.. come on," he said as Barca approached the net and... GOALLLLL. "Iniestaaaaa," both the commentators and Austin said. I smiled seeing Austin happy. Barca didn't celebrate, Messi took the ball with him and approached the center of the field. "3+" A board was shown and the game resumed even after 90. Austin was now closer and happy. He took my hands and squeezed it tightly which made me think he was nervous..
"Visca el Barca," I said and he looked at me for a second before saying, "Visca el Barca."

Less than 3 minutes left. Nothing... Two.. Still nothing.. One.. At that point, I think we both agreed that the match was going to be a draw. Austin was now standing up, still holding my hand, uncomfortable for me though. WAIT. Some player in white lifted the ball up.. Closer to the goal. No one in the defense except the man in gloves... "Noo," I shouted which was followed by Austin's, "Fuck.. NOO," as the player struck the ball into the air.

It was in. Yes. It was in. Damn. FC Barcelona 2-3 Real Madrid. Austin let himself fall into the cushions as he looked to be in despair. He looked up into the ceilings and covered his face with his hands. I sat there feeling like I was the bad omen, somehow. I looked at Austin when he removed his hands and I felt like his tears were only held in his eyes because he didn't give them the permission to fall.

"I think there is another twist to the game," the commentator said.

"Look what is happening," I said.

"I think," the commentator said, "Barca fans have something to cheer about. It looks offside to me."

And Austin jumped in happiness as soon as the offside was officially announced. FC Barcelona 2-2 Real Madrid. The damned wide, crooked smile on his face was back and it was contagious. Just looking at his face was giving me delight.

The clock was over 93 and it still wasn't over. I kept wondering why it didn't stop. In the midst of all the twist, turns and chaos, Barca began to attack for the last time. One last time. From Iniesta in the middle (I recognized him as the one who scored the goal), to the player on the left and then finally to Messi, outside the box. He was surrounded by five players. Impossible to score, I thought. NO WAY. NO WAY. NO WAY. He dribbled past one, two, three, Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! Goal!

I felt like I was in a movie. How did that happen? That was impossible, but I wasn't in a movie. This was real. This was as real as it could get. Messi. Had. Done. It. Messi. Scored. While the players approached for celebration, Austin was punching the air, extremely happy. I wondered if I would ever see him that happy. He was just jumping, shouting at the top of his lungs and celebrating the win like he had won it himself. Meanwhile, I wanted my legs to be back. When the goal was scored, I felt like celebrating just like Austin, before I realised I wasn't lucky enough. Anyways, I was happy and I did genuinely shout, "Yesss," when the goal was scored.
Maybe that's what football brings to you. Emotions.

Austin came up to me, got down on his knees and hugged me tightly. I closed my eyes and just felt the moment. "You told me we'd win. I am so happy," he said and I tried to get a little above, to stand, to hug him properly, but I couldn't. So, I wrapped my arms around him, a little more tightly. A little tighter before I heard Oscar as he came running towards me. Austin let go of me as my heart throbbed again at the thought of Susan seeing us. Damn. Damn. Damn. My happiness was slowly taking the shape of horror and I was terrified. Maybe, I was insecure because Susan was way better than me in everything, but Austin didn't seem like a guy who could judge a girl based on her looks. I couldn't rationally give a reason to why I didn't want Susan to meet Austin yet.

Austin caressed Oscar slowly before he came to me and I took him into my arms and hugged him tightly. "I missed you," I said, my eyes looking for the sight of Susan, only for me to discover her nowhere.

"Can you help me to my wheelchair, Austin?"

I got into it as quickly as I could and went to the stair to see if she was downstairs. No. The door had just been closed. She had left. But why?
As I approached my room, I was obstructed by Austin when he said, "There was a girl, but I couldn't get to know how she looked."

I got on my bed by myself and she was there on the ground, as always. Her hands on her eyes. "Susan," I shouted. No answer. "Susan," I shouted again, loud enough for her to hear me in the silence of the street. I called her. No answer.

NO ANSWER.

***
Don't forget to vote :)