Chapter 21 - Dreams

[Recap- Austin proposed Jane. In this chapter, Jane lives the aftermath.]

My bedroom as always.
4 PM.
Mom and I had our eyes glued on the ground where Austin was playing. I had recited every enthralling and alluring moment of how Austin proposed me and how it was the best proposal ever even though she was a part of the plan herself. I was happy. Austin looked happier on the ground. She knew I was happy and seeing me happy, she was happy.
"I haven't felt so happy in a while, mom." I almost celebrated the goal when Austin scored.

"You deserve to be happy. You really do."

"But, what about Susan?" I murmured, "Susan isn't and she doesn't deserve it."

"I am sure," mom said as she tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear, "that she is happier for you than she must be sad for herself."

"But, isn't it wrong?"

"Knock it off, Jane. She wanted this too. Give her some time. It will be alright."
And I nodded.

After a few minutes when silence prevailed between us, she started to leave. But, she stopped and sat down again before she said, "He has done so much for you. He sang for you, wrote for you, didn't give up on you when you gave up on yourself and proposed you in the best possible way."

"I am so blessed to have him." And it was indeed correct. Austin was indeed a blessing.

"You should do something for him."

She kissed me on my forehead before leaving.
And I was left with myself to do something special for him. I lay down on my bed and in the midst of thinking, I fell asleep.

When I woke up, mom brought in lunch for me and her. I sent him my picture saying, "Wanna come over?"

"Will be there as quickly as my reply was." I read and smiled.

"Jane," Mom said, "Someone special on your mind?" She nudged my hands.

"Austin is coming over."

"Did you think what will you do for him?"

I cut down the pie into four pieces and started to eat it. "I am yet to think about it."

"Try working for his dreams. Make his dream come true."

I smiled. Mom always had subtle ways to find solutions to my problems. Famous singer. Meeting Messi. Being a footballer. The latter two were out of my reach. It had to be related to singing.

"Bring in your guitar," I texted.

"Thank you so much, mom." It came out as if I was shouting, but I didn't blame myself because I was too excited. I picked up a glass of water.

When we were done, Oscar came into my room, and I took him into my arms. I thanked him for making my letter reach Austin. I turned around the pages of my diary and told mom to take off our family picture, which was hanging on the wall before I saw Austin knock the door and mom went to receive him.
When they came in the room, I said, "So you guys broke up?"
And, both of them laughed.

"Hey," Austin said when mom left. A quirky smile on his face. He was wearing a black jacket on a white T-shirt. A black jean and his fairly long hair were neatly combed. He also had the guitar tucked around his shoulders. It looked like he had actually dressed himself for a date and I admired how beautiful his dressing sense was.

"Hey." The shyness in me was taking over my confident self.
He came to sit beside me and held my hands as soon as he sat down. So there I was, finally having a boyfriend. I looked above and thought, "I hope you are happy." And, I wondered if Jaime heard it.