Chapter 10

"As he looked up at the clouds or down at the precipice, he realised that this woman was the most important thing in his life; that she was the explanation, the sole reason for the existence of those rocks, that sky, that winter. If she were not there with him, it wouldn't matter if all the angels of heaven came flying down to comfort him – Paradise would make no sense." Jeong Hyeok is reading out the lines in his velvet voice from a book he's holding in his hand. He's sitting on a couch in their spacious living room, his back resting comfortably against the backrest. Se Ri is lying on the same couch, her head on Jeong Hyeok's lap and is avidly listening to the lines he's reading from the book. Both are dressed in white casual T-shirts, twinning like they usually do when in their happy abode. The sun is shining bright and the large glass windows are facilitating natural light to the living room, just the appropriate amount that makes the atmosphere pleasant. On the other side of the room, comrades are sitting on the floor in circle formation, having some serious conversation about animals.

Se Ri's eyes are closed, drinking in the mellow voice of Jeong Hyeok which is delivering the words from the book in his hand. She opens her eyes. "It is so beautiful, Hyeoki. I didn't know you changed your genre from dark to spiritual."

Jeong Hyeok takes his eyes off the book and smiles, answering Se Ri

Jeong Hyeok takes his eyes off the book and smiles, answering Se Ri. "You told me, a person's bookshelf reveals a lot about their personality. So, I am gradually shifting it from dark to spiritual. I have started reading Paulo Coelho now."

"I wonder, what brings such a drastic change to our Hyeoki?" Se Ri pouts.

"Oh—well. I want our daughters to have bright and cheerful personality. What I read to you, goes to them. It's science." Jeong Hyeok shyly looks around as he speaks.

"Cheerful personality just like mine?"

"Just like you." Jeong Hyeok touches Se Ri's bump and gently rubs his hand on it. "I already told you, I want our kids to be like you."

"But I want them to have your eyes, nose, skin and dimples. They can have my hair." Se Ri speaks, closely observing Jeong Hyeok.

"Your disheveled hair?" Jeong Hyeok jokes, his hand never leaving Se Ri's tummy.

"Wha—I told you it is fancy."

"Say what you want." Jeong Hyeok teases.

"Hyeoki! Do you have a death wish?" Se Ri pulls Jeong Hyeok's hair. "Did you forget what our doctor said?"

"To keep you h—happy." Jeong Hyeok replies grimacing, bearing Se Ri's playful torment.

"Good." Se Ri loosens her grip on his hair and gently pats on it. "Oh—the other day in clinic, why did my ob-gyn ask you to have a private chat with her?"

"That was nothing." Jeong Hyeok replies curtly.

"Tell me, Hyeoki."

"No."