Chapter 13

"Hyeoki, did you see my shampoo and conditioner? It's not in the washroom." Se Ri asks, rubbing her eyes, leaning against the refrigerator in the kitchen. She's wearing her pink pyjamas and Jeong Hyeok's maroon T-shirt.

"No. I didn't see it. You know I only use soap." Jeong Hyeok replies, peering over his shoulder. There are packets of ramen, pasta, canned goods, salad dressings, soups and other grocery items on the counter, which he's arranging in kitchen shelves. He's wearing a grey T-shirt and black joggers. His morning eyes and unruly hair make him look younger than he is.

"Where could those be?" Se Ri wonders, biting the inside of her lip

"Where could those be?" Se Ri wonders, biting the inside of her lip. "But why are you arranging the groceries? Where's Martha?"

"Oh, I asked her to water the plants instead. You know, she keeps these items in the wrong places. So, I thought to do it myself." Jeong Hyeok replies, placing the ramen packets in the cupboard just over the gas burner.

"Wrong places?" Se Ri comes closer and stirs the vegetables, Jeong Hyeok is simultaneously frying for breakfast.

"You see, you regularly consume these packets. Pasta, ramen, ranch dressing, chocolate covered potato chips, chestnuts and these cookies. So these need to be kept at your eye-level. Neither high, nor low." Jeong Hyeok explains, gesturing the measurements with his hands.

"You always do that, Hyeoki. Making everything easier for me." Se Ri grins, looking at him mathematically explain the grocery items setup.

"It's my habit now, I guess." He smiles back, holding two coffee mugs in his hands. "Come, let's have breakfast. Japchae is done."

Jeong Hyeok sets japchae, banchan, bowls, chopsticks and mugs on the breakfast table before taking his seat beside Se Ri. He slides a mug and a japchae bowl to her side.

"Flat white." Se Ri beams, taking a sip from her mug. "Delicious, as always."

Jeong Hyeok simply grins, picking up pieces of banchan with his chopsticks and putting them in Se Ri's bowl.

"You are the best among all the men I've ever been with." Se Ri speaks, taking another sip.

"How many times are you going to repeat that?" Jeong Hyeok narrows his eyes.

"Everytime you impress me which is a 100 billion times, or more." Se Ri pouts. "I found the best man in the most unimaginable place."

"And I found the best woman dangling on a tree." Jeong Hyeok speaks, taking a mouthful of japchae from his bowl and putting it in Se Ri's mouth.

"You know, I dated some of the richest men in South Korea, having similar background as mine but there was no connection." Se Ri says, chewing her food.

"Is it really important for you to talk about other men to me?" Jeong Hyeok scorns.