Chapter 5 (Hazel)

Hazel nervously smoothed out her robes as she was sitting in the Ravenclaw common room.  It was early,  too early to go to the Great Hall yet for breakfast...that and she wasn't entriely sure of herself that she could get there on her own without getting lost.  She had studied the layout of the school when she had been home, but actually being in such a big structure for the first time was intimidating.    She had a dark brown leather satchel next to her on the floor filled with books, quills, ink, and parchment.  Today was the first day of classes.  

   "Nervous?"  asked a deep voice that startled Hazel out of her thoughts.  She looked up from her robes to see a the same boy who had introduced himself at the Ravenclaw to her.  He was a 3rd year.  

    "Hazel, right?"  he asked as he stepped towards her.  She nodded.

"You're Kim Namjoon, yes?"  she replied softly.

    "Hey, you remebered!  You're up pretty early for a first year, the Great Hall isn't even really open for another half and hour.  So I guessed you must be down here because you're nervous for your first day of classes."  explained Namjoon.  Hazel looked at him with wide eyes.

    "Yeah, that's right, actually."  she sputtered out.  He chuckled.

"Don't worry, its not uncommon for first years to be nervous.  What are you most nervous about?  Maybe I can help."  he offered.

    "Um, well I'm mainly worried about getting lost."  admitted Hazel sheepishly.  

"Oh, don't worry too much about that.  If you do get lost just ask one of the older students or professors, some of the ghosts will help you out too, although I would avoid Peeves, his the resident poltergiest, he's not very helpful, you'll know him when you see him."  Namjoon informed her with a smile that showed of dimples in his cheeks.

    "Well that makes me feel a little better..well since you said to ask the older students if I get lost, I have one more question.

   "What's that?" asked Namjoon.

"How do you get to the Great Hall from here?"  she asked with a small smile growing on her face.  He chuckled at her question.

    "We can head down there now, it should be open soon.  Do you have your class schedule on you?"  he asked.  Hazel fished the piece of parchment with her class schedule out of her bag and handed it to him.

    "Well on our way there we will walk by the Charms class which you have first with the Gryffindors, and I can point you in the direction of where Potions will be as your second class with the Slytherins."  Said Namjoon as the pair walked out of the common room and down the spiral staircase that led down from Ravenclaw Tower.   He saw the worry return to Hazel's face.

    "Don't worry, Gryffindors are usually pretty friendly, and the Slytherins aren't that bad either.  I have friends in both houses, some pretty good ones from Slytherin for that matter."  Namjoon told her trying to reasure her that she shouldn't be worried.   Hazel nodded feeling a little better.  She had been worried that maybe she wasn't supposed to make friends outside of her house once she was placed, but hearing Namjoon talk about his friends in other houses made her feel much better.  She began to think about Jimin and Taehyung and thought about what they might be doing.  Maybe she would see them in the Great Hall for breakfast, we she allowed to sit by either of them even though they weren'r in the same house?

   "Do you have to sit at your house table?"  asked Hazel as they walked down the corridor. 

 "Hmm?  You don't have to, but most people do.  Sometimes I'll go sit at the Hufflepuff or Slytherin tables for meals, especially if we've had classes together and are working on homework."  replied Namjoon without giving much thought.   Hazel started to get excited at this news.  

    "Why?  Got some friends in other houses already?"  asked Namjoon curiously.

"A couple.  Park Jimin, he's a second year Gryffindor, and Kim Taehyung, he's a..."  she started.

    "...second year Hufflepuff."  Finished Namjoon.  "Yes, I know him.  He's actually a distant cousin of mine, although both his parents are muggles."  

    "How does that even work?"  asked Hazel confused.  Namjoon shrugged.

"Not entirely sure,  apprently one of his grandparent was a Squib who's kids were non-magic users, so the wizard skills haven't been to anyone until him."  replied Namjoon.  

    "Cool."  she replied interested.  She hadn't known that before about him.  "Do you like, hang out with him since he is your cousin?"  Namjoon laughed.

    "Sometimes, We also have another cousin in the school, he's actually my first cousin and is a fouth year Hufflepuff.  He is ususally the one who keeps tabs on Taehyung.   He and Park Jimin have a reputation in the school for driving the caretaker of the school crazy."  continued Namjoon.  It was Hazel's turn to laugh.

    "That doesn't surprise me."  she giggled. 

"Oh, down that hallway and to the left is the door to Charms with Proff. Flitwick, he's actually head of Ravenclaw House, he's always extra nice to first years, espically Ravenclaws."  Nmajoon informed Hazel.

    "Well that's good to know."  commented Hazel.  They continued to causually chat as they continued to was to the Great Hall.  By the time they got their the doors were just opening up to students.  There were a few other students who had been waiting for the door to open.  Most were Hufflepuff students who apprently had their common room near the kitchens.

    "Namjoon!"  a voice called that caught both Namjoon and Hazel's attention.

"Jin!  You're up early."  commented Namjoon as one of the most handsome boys Hazel had ever seen walked up to them.  

    "Oh, I didn't realize you had a friend with you.  And who are you, miss?"  asked Jin.

"Hazel May Halls, I'm a Ravenclaw first year."  replied Hazel.

    "A first year?  Namjoon, I'm surprised you would pick a girl so young."  teased Jin.  "I'm Kim Seokjin, by the way.  Hufflepuff fourth year."  he bowed to her as he held her hand gently in his like a prince.  Hazel felt her cheeks heat up at his gesture.

    "It's not like that, Jin-hyung.  I'm just being friendly."  Namjoon said brushing of his older friend's taunt.  

    "Wait, are you the same Hazel May that Park Jimin from Gryffindor is always talking about to Taehyung about?"  suddenly asked Jin.  Now Hazel could feel her whole face turning red.

    "Um, I, maybe?"  she stuttered out embaressed.  Jin couldn't help but tease the poor girl.  He wanted to test his theory on her.  He knew that Jimin had a huge crush on the poor Ravenclaw first-year and he was hoping that the girl felt the same way, so far it was looking pretty good.

    "Hey Hazel May!"  a voice said catching everyone's attention.  The trio turned to see the two devils that they had mentioned before.

    "Why's you're face so red?  Are you feeling okay?"  Jimin asked concerend as he reached out ot touch her face.  Hazel batted his hand away.

   "No, no.  I'm fine.  Just a bit, uh, warm.  How about we go eat, yeah?  I'm starving.  Come on Namjoon."  Hazel rushed as she grabbed the 3rd year boy's wrist and practically dragged him into the hall and to the Ravenclaw table leaving the other three boys to stand there in shock.

    "Smooth."  teased Namjoon as they sat down at the Ravenclaw table.

"Shut up."  mumbled Hazel as she hid her face in her arms at the table to embaressed to look anywhere else.  Awesome first day of school Hazel thought to herself scarcastically.