12 ゜possessed

Making it past the guards was not that difficult. The undead fire guards were no threat at all, just as Tsuyu had told Kyoka not even an hour before. All it really took to defeat them were a few simple punches, perhaps a kick if they were being stubborn. It was the perfect testament as to how much stronger the girls had during their travels.

Besides the products of necromancy, there was no one or nothing else in sight. When Momo had first pointed it out ("There's no actual people here... maybe no one supported his cause.") Mina had laughed ("So he's a loner? Not much of a surprise."), but that fell short when Ochako spoke up ("That just means he's wicked strong to do this all by himself.")

And when the fire of the beasts had been blown out, they were left in darkness.

The grand, twisting corridors of the once homely palace were drained of all color. Abandoned dust settled along every crevice and fresh smoke flitted throughout as if a comforting candle had just been blown out. It made them walk with cautious steps, as if there were monsters out there worse than them.

"We're almost to the far end," Tsu frowned. "Where is she?" It was as if the wizard had fell to her knees and folded her hands and looked to the heavens above, for her prayer was answered without hesitation.

The six stumbled into gaping room. They recognized it as the throne room of their beloved, now deceased king. His throne was humble, a simple wooden chair with his queen's throne on equal standing to the right. Light poured inside from the leviathan-esque windows– stained glass windows that depicted scenes of the kingdom's rich history. It was once known as such a gorgeous place. Now it was only cold.

And in the middle of it all stood Toru Hagakure.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

"Does she look hurt, Enomoto?"

Serafina shook her head but the worry coating her face told a different story. Her brown hand was cupping Toru's cheek, thumb caressing her olive skin with urgency. The others watched her touch air until she finally spoke up.

"No, she's– she's fine, but... she's not here."

"What do you mean?" Ashido scoffed. "She's right in front of us!"

"I mean– her eyes are wide open but she's not here!" The witch cried, and with the speed of a viper moved her hand to Toru's shoulder and started shaking her. "She's not blinking or moving or anything!"

Asui frowned before stepping forward and placing the back of her hand onto the ghost's forehead (or as close as she could find). She hummed in thought, as if a mother guessing her child's temperature.

"Her life force... it's dim," the wizard stated. "It's always been dim, considering she was always on the last phase of death, but it's almost gone now."

The two magic users looked at one another in fear, silently thinking of ways they could help the absent girl before them. They were cut short when a booming voice sounded from the entrance of the room, the loud slam of the doors sounding from behind him.

"That would be my doing."

Maybe twelve months ago the teenagers would have jumped in surprise or let out yelps of fear. Maybe they would have found themselves frozen at the bone. Now they only turned towards the burly man with trickling fury.

The fire that flared from this imbecile's body did not match the fire in their eyes. It would never compare, and yet he did not waver.

"Trying to sap her powers proved fruitless. She has none. A weakling. So I opted for a bit of life force."

After a few beats of silence, Serafina responded. Her hand was still placed on her girlfriend's shoulder and her voice was low. Her glowing eyes bore into the dictator's, his own icy blue eyes reflecting her cold tone.

"What's your name?"

His red eyebrow perked up at that, and he tried not to show any amusement at what he thought was pure foolishness. "Excuse me?"

"You... you've taken complete control over our kingdom... of our lives," she paused as her chest shook. "And yet we don't know your name. Or an alias. It's pretty telling how stupid you are."

The man finally let out a roaring chuckle, one that shook his shoulders and the walls around him. It caused the fire licking his face to rise intensely.

"My name is Serafina," she cut him off. By now Toru had left her sight, instead sheltered behind her back. "Serafina Enomoto."

"I could care less of your name," he laughed. "You must be insane—"

"You should. Since you know my name now, I'm ten times as powerful. Such as the universe intended."

"Oh?" His fire fell short as a shadow fell upon his face. "In that case, you can call me Endeavor. I was one of All for One's apprentices, the strongest one in fact. I doubt a few children such as yourself have the power to do anything about me. Me, the man who singlehandedly killed your king and took his kingdom!"

By now his manic laughter was a familiar sound to them.

The witch looked at each one of her friends. They all had the same conclusion, the same resolve. Their bonds were all they needed for this battle, along with the thirst to fulfill their destiny. Their destiny to be written down in all history books, their names in the glossary right after those of their male counterparts who had completed their fairytales so long ago.

Mina giggled. "I'll take care of Hagakure. But just so you know, Endeavor is such a boring name."

That was his breaking point.

.・゜゜・  ・゜゜・.
if this chapter appeared as an actual person in front of me i wouldnt hesitate to beat them to death.

OAMALANSIANSNRJNRNSKAMEKIDMRMDKAMAMAKSMSKMAKZKDNJKANJKNAJIRNJINRKJ i didnt even attempt to make it better i highkey just wanna get this book over with LOL . just 1 more chapter + epilogue