Arriving at Phoenix Drop

" Woah girl slow down. "

I pet my black horse as we galloped down the trail towards a village. I didn't see the name until I got a little further.

   ' Phoenix Drop. That sounds interesting. '

I walked to the gates but stopped my horse. I waited for a guard to come to the gate or anything, but no one appeared.

   " Hello? "

   " Hi, Sorry! It's my first day on duty. "

   " It's alright. Can I come in? "

   " What business do you have in Phoenix Drop? "

   " I'm just a traveler looking for somewhere to settle. "

   " Alright, do you carry any weapons on you? "

   " Yeah. I have a knife here on my belt and one in my bag that's on my horse. "

   " I might have to confiscate them. "

   " Then I'll confiscate yours. "

   " What? "

   " If I can't have a weapon when I enter the village you can't have one either. "

   " But I'm a guard I need my sword to protect the village. "

   " And I need my knives to protect myself. "

He thought it over for a minute before opening up the gate. When the gate was fully up my horse galloped in with me riding on them. When we entered through the gate it closed behind us and the guard came to talk to me. He had long orange hair and bright green eyes. He had a charming smile on his face as he approached my horse and me.

   " Welcome, to Phoenix Drop. "

   " Thank you...."

   " Laurence Zvhal or the knight of your dreams. "

   " Most likely your nightmares. "

   " As long as you are in my dreams. "

   " Very charming. "

   " Thank you. Let me guide you through the village. "

   " Don't you have to watch the gate? "

   " Well, the others can take care of that while I guide..."

   " Y/n. "

   " ...while I guide a stranger, named Y/n, through the village. "

   " But you're a new guard. Shouldn't you be watching the gate and be training? "

   " I'm not a new guard. I've been a guard for a while. I just happened to have come to this village and be friends with the lord and became a guard for Phoenix Drop. "

   " I see. Where are you originally from? "

   " Meteli. "

   " I rode through there not too long ago. "

   " Really? How did you like it? "

   " It was a nice small town. "

   " I'm glad you said so. If you'll do me the honor of jumping off of your horse, I'll lead you to the stables and then show you around. "

   " I like that idea. "

I jumped off my horse and landed on the ground. I held H/n's reigns in my hand as I turned to look at Laurence. He was still smiling at me as we started walking. The gate wasn't that far from the village. The gate itself looked new. There was a small set of stables on one end of the village and we left H/n there. When we walked into the village the first place he showed me was the market. There were a lot of merchants around the market and each of them was selling something different.

   " Are you hungry? "

   " A little, but you shouldn't worry about it. "

   " Of course I'm going to worry about it. No one as pretty as you should be going hungry. "

We walked up to a booth and Laurence looked around the baked goods that were at the booth. There were pies, tarts, breads, cookies, brownies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, custards, and many more. Laurence set two iron pieces on the counter and picked up two tarts.

 Laurence set two iron pieces on the counter and picked up two tarts

He handed me one and he took a bite of his first.

   " Go on ahead and eat yours. It's really good. "

I looked at him then looked back to my tart. I took a bite of it and it tasted amazing. We continued to eat the tarts as we walked around. There wasn't much to the village. There were a lot of houses and a small dock. Some of the houses were a little torn up and that got me asking him questions.

   " What happened? The houses look damaged as if an explosion happened. "

   " A couple of days ago the village was attacked. "

   " Really? "

   " Yeah, but you shouldn't worry about that now. It's all fine now and we are rebuilding. It shouldn't take long. When anything happens to the village, the people in the village get together and work together to fix everything. "

    " That's wonderful. I'm glad the village is like that. It shows signs of a great village. " 

   " Thank you. I'll make sure to tell that to the lord. "

I had finished my tart and I rubbed the crumbs off of my hands and we continued to walk around the village. It didn't take long until we had seen everything and we started walking to the lords' house.