Chapter 9

Death lurked at every doorway with hell at one dark window. Rita felt cold air zoom through her bedroom as she rests her head on the soft pillow, covering herself in her warm blankets. It was a late night and she wasn't able to sleep in her golden slumbers. The sounds of noises from outside, tapping her window so ever loudly, irritated her. 

"Rita..."

She rapidly sat up. "W-who's there?" 

The low, cold yet gentle voice filled up her room with only just her name. Her room smelt damp..and empty with the sense of an eerie room was present. Soon she was sweating from under the covers with eyes as round as the moon, but the moon was no where to be seen up in the dark dismal sky. 

"Rita..." 

It called again. Shadows were dancing around her and she sees dark red eyes standing in front of her. The shadow of a tall, slim figure that reached it's hand out like a long slim branch as if trying to grab her away. The red eyes glowed so ever brightly as she sent a high pitch scream. Rushing into her room, her six foot two father came in with concern falling on his face, with illuminated lights flickering on.

"Rita sweetheart what's the matter darling, I'm here!'

"Daddy I saw-" but she stopped as she was cut off with tears falling down her cheeks. "I saw it standing there...it was trying to hurt me!"

But the thing vanished. Gone. "You must've had a bad dream, here let me make you some warm milk and I'll send you back to sleep again alright?" 

Rita nodded. What would she do without her father not being with her? She loved him very dearly. Suddenly her mother came rushing in with terror in her eyes with her crying daughter sitting up on her bed.

"Oh honey you must've had a bad dream..." she hugged her lightly.

"But mum I saw it! I saw it with my own eyes! It had these red glowing eyes...sharp teeth..." now she realized how dumb she felt to believe such a thing that had existed in front of her. Her parents must be right. It must've been some terrible nightmare. But the features of it's face looked awfully familiar to Rita. She just doesn't know why.

Seconds later her father came back up with a glass of hot milk in his hands. "Rest easy now sweetheart. Soon it will be morning and your nightmare will vanish". 

Vanish? Or  will it stay with her forever?

________________________________

The next morning Rita stayed quiet. She didn't want to talk about the haunting night she had. She needed a distraction and going to school was her only option. It rained slightly the next morning. Platinum clouds had covered the sky as she walks alone, down her isolated street. It wasn't long until she saw Eleanor waving at her.

"What a shitty morning" she sighs. "Aren't you gonna talk?"

"I thought you were going to walk with Paul?" Rita asked.

"We broke up...he cheated on me".

"Oh.."

"Yeah he's got this girl, Martha. You should've  'eard him! Shouting about sayin' Oh Martha my dear! I love you Oh Martha! Pissed me off. Seconds later he be calling me Martha!" 

"Ah well, you always get some other guy anyway. It would be this boy or that boy. So many choices..."

"That's alright after the break up I met Johnny! Well that's what I call him, everyone else just calls him John".

"John?  The most popular douchebag of Liverpool High? The teddy boy trouble making douchebag that everyone knows?  Now how the fuck do you go from a man to another? I really don't understand the life you live" Rita chuckles silently. 

"Well first he is not a douchebag! Second he's actually really really nice when you get to know him  thirdly he is sooooooooooooooo romantic and lastly he is so funny and he has a great sense of humor and I appreciate his sarcasm".

"OOF!"

"He made me these!" Eleanor took out a golden card with John's link writing inside and showed Rita flowers and some baked biscuits he made.

"They look a little burnt but they still taste delicious..."

"A little burnt? Eleanor that is coal right in front of our face!" 

"I guess they're a little hard but...he's tried okay!" 

Rita couldn't help it but laugh. "Maybe next time you could teach him some lessons".

"Don't make fun of him! He took some reasonable time to create them for me."

"Are you seriously going to eat those rocks?"

"Yes for my lovely lovely Johnny I will."

"Pathetic".

As soon as they made it to their class they found the pale boy again gazing at the window.

"Hopefully he doesn't stare his life away" Rita chuckles. "But something tells me there's something awfully interesting about him".

But instead of staring or being so quiet, George gave a smile and waved. It wasn't something Rita would expect to see from a boy who looked like he was going to stare at her face as if for a thousand years.