• E I G H T E E N •

« El oscuro secreto de la casa de la cosecha »

          Clemintine scribbled in her sketch book outside during lunch, enjoying her time alone. Jughead sat down across from her, breaking that small joy. She looked up at him skeptically, taking out her earbuds so that she could hear what he had to say. "Yes?" She hadn't spoken to him in weeks.

"Has Cheryl or Toni talked to you about joining something?" He questioned, looking around them, trying to slip as little information in as possible.

Clemintine rose a brow. She was curious at his strange behavior. "Maybe they did, why?"

"I need your help."

Clemintine scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "I'm not a Serpent anymore, remember?"

"Hey, I'm asking you as a friend." Jughead looked hurt. She may not be a Serpent, but she still held a special place in his heart. "I just need your help to convince Cheryl and Toni to come back to the Serpents."

"And what if they don't?" She challenged her former leader.

"Then they don't." Jughead responded, his dark eyes meeting her light ones. "Please..."

Clemintine's eyes rolled. "Sure. What's the plan?" She closed her sketch book, placing it back in her bag.

"I know Cheryl's going to want you apart of the Pretty Poison's. Don't turn her down. Just slowly and discreetly get her and Toni to change their minds." Jughead explained. "And I want to apologize to you. I shouldn't have exiled you so quickly."

"I get it, Jug. I would have done the same if I was in your place. I had no idea that the Gargoyles were selling drugs."

Jughead nodded in understanding. "The Serpents miss you... I miss you."

Clemintine's brows furrowed in confusion. "What are you trying to say?"

"Will you come back to the Serpents?" He asked, a pleading look in his eyes.

Clemintine sighed. "I need some time, Jug. Half the Serpents turned on me. I'll have to think about it."

Jughead reached across the table, taking Clemintine's hand and squeezing it lightly. "I understand. Take all the time you need."

☀️

The next day, Clemintine was once again drawing in her sketch book, when she was so rudely interrupted by her doorbell.

She removed herself from her cozy blanket cocoon on the living room couch.

"Hello, cousin." Cheryl smiled brightly upon the front door opening. Toni smiled by her side.

"Hello to you too, Cheryl and Toni." Clemintine greeted the pair. "What can I do for you ladies?"

Cheryl lifted a leather jacket, the words Pretty Poison's sat across the back. "We wanted to formally invite you to be a Poison."

"A Pretty Poison." Toni corrected.

Clemintine reluctantly took the jacket. She needed to stop making a habit of collecting these. "Thank you."

"We're meeting tonight. I'll text you the details." Cheryl spoke one last time. "Tootles." She waved, Toni doing the same, before the two left.

Clemintine closed the door and rolled her eyes. She loved Cheryl, but there was no way that she could be a serious leader. She knew there was no way that Cheryl would let Toni take the lead.

Jughead was lucky that Clemintine was a good person, and a better friend. She was doing this for him.

Julian came downstairs, car keys in his hand. "I'm headed to Pop's; you want to join?"

"Sure." Clemintine tossed the jacket on the couch and followed her brother to fill their empty stomachs.

That night, when the siblings returned, Jackson was not in a pleasant mood. "Clemintine, what is this?" He fisted the Pretty Poison leather. Anger evident in his eyes.

"A jacket." She responded. Clemintine picked up her things off the couch.

"I told you, no more gangs." The man's voice rose.

Clemintine stopped beside the stairs. "It's not. It's Cheryl and Toni's new club."

Jackson scoffed. "Yeah right."

Clemintine rolled her eyes. "Why are you so mad about a jacket?"

"Gangs killed your parents. My only brother. You and Julian are all I have left. These gangs have put you in the hospital more than once. I'm doing what your parents never did, and that's to put my foot down. I'm not letting you die, Clemintine."

"You don't know shit about them!" Clemintine's face heated, anger fueling the fire in her veins. "They loved me. They raised me. Don't you dare forget your place, Jackson." The girl then ran up the stairs, warm tears cascading down her pink tinted cheeks.

Julian stared at his Uncle in disbelief. His mouth was slightly agape. Julian said nothing and went up to his room, slamming his door, just as his sister had moments before.

chapter word count: 771