T W E N T Y • O N E

« Toque del mal »

          "Clemmie!" Kevin called out to his friend. "You remember Evelyn."

"I do." Clemintine nodded shortly.

"I wanted to thank you for helping to break up the fight the other day." Evelyn smiled sweetly. It felt off to Clemintine.

"You're welcome." Clemintine responded. She wanted out of this conversation as soon as possible.

"I have a question." Evelyn spoke before Clemintine could make her exit. "As you may know, we have a club, here at school." Evelyn took a flier out of her bag. "Please feel free to join. We'd love to have someone like you."

"Thanks." Clemintine flashed a quick smile. "I'll think about it." She took the flier and walked away, continuing down the hall.

"What was that about?" Betty asked when Clemintine reached her.

The girl shrugged and opened her locker. "They wanted me to join some club." The look on Betty's face told that she knew exactly which club Clemintine meant. Clemintine rose a brow. "Don't tell me that you're in their club."

"No." Betty shook her head. "Polly and my mom are." Clemintine could tell that she was hiding something, instead of pressing for an answer, she left it alone. For the time being, at least.

Clemintine let out a chuckle. "I knew Alice was crazy, but not that crazy."

"Yeah, me too." Betty responded.

"Do you know if they've found a music teacher?" The girl asked her blonde cousin.

Betty shrugged. "I don't think so."

"I've been craving my violin lately." Clemintine explained as to why she asked the question. "But, I've been scared to touch it. Last time I tried, my mom-" She choked on her words.

Betty nodded. "Yeah, I understand. Maybe, I can be there, when you play, so you won't be alone. I remember how much you love to play."

Clemintine smiled. "Thank you, Betty."

🐍☀️

It was time for gym class, and the chosen sport for the day was volleyball. It started out as a friendly game, the teams switching every 10-15 minutes. But then Sweet Pea and Clemintine's teams were up against each other.

Sweet Pea spiked the ball, directly hitting Clemintine in the face. As she laid on the ground, clutching her nose, the coach's whistle was blown.

Evelyn was the first at her side, along with some other students. "Let me see." Evelyn carefully moved the girl's hands from her face. "Good news, it doesn't look broken." Evelyn informed her. "There's a little blood, but it's nothing to worry about."

"Evernever, Rhonson, take her to the nurse." The coach spoke. The two girls did as told, walking beside Clemintine.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kurtz shoved Sweet Pea, causing him to stumble back. "Why do you hate her so much?"

"Knock it off!" The coach called. "This class isn't over, get back to the game. Sweets, come talk to me." The two stood in the doorway to the gym to talk. "What was that?"

Sweet Pea shrugged. "It was an accident."

"Cut the crap. I've been watching you during that game. It's pretty clear that it was on purpose."

"So what?" Sweet Pea crossed his arms.

"I don't know what's going on between you two but knock it off. Happens again and you'll have to answer to Weatherbee. Got it?"

"Got it." Sweet Pea rolled his eyes.

"Get back in there." Coach instructed.

Back at the nurse's office, Clemintine's bloody nose was now under control. "It doesn't seem to be broken, but you might want to get an x-ray done." The nurse explained.

"Jackson's gonna be pissed." Clemintine sniffed.

"Here." Evelyn handed Clemintine a wet paper towel.

"Thanks." Clemintine responded, using the paper towel to wipe away her smeared makeup.

"Who's Jackson?" The other girl that had helped walk with Clemintine, named Amanda, questioned.

"My guardian." She answered. "I'm already in deep shit with him."

"How deep?" Amanda chuckled.

"Up to my knees."

"That's a lot of shit." Amanda chuckled.

"It stinks." Clemintine let out a breathy laugh.

The nurse handed the girls notes to go back to class. "Do you need me to call your Uncle, Clemintine?"

"No." She shook her head. "He's working. Besides, he probably already knows."

"Alright. Feel better."

The girls returned to class and Clemintine went to change out of her gym clothes. When she came back out, she sat on the bleachers, watching her classmates, and waiting.

"Hey." Sweet Pea sat down next to her. She ignored him. "You had time to move."

Clemintine looked at him in disbelief. "You threw a ball at my face."

"Your face got in the way of the ball." Sweet Pea shot back.

Clemintine scoffed, rolling her eyes. "You're unbelievable." She stood up, leaving the Serpent by himself.

chapter word count: 789