Chapter Twelve.

"So he just came here to scold you because you skipped work?" Kate said, pacing my room back and forth. I puffed up my cheeks a little and pressed my lips together.

I hesitated for a moment. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to tell her or not. I usually told Kate everything and we never kept secrets from each other. I wanted to tell her but I couldn't. My chicken self just couldn't. I wanted some time to think about what to do. On one hand, was Kate and on the other was my asshole of a boss. It was all too much-too too much-to take in. It was like I was in the middle of a tug-of-war with my boss and Kate opposite each other. I was torn, conflicted, tangled up like earphones in the pocket of jeans, and frus-fucking-trated.

I bit my lip, contemplating what to do.

To tell Kate?

Or not?

I let an inaudible, yet heavy sigh. I turned to Kate who had her eyes narrowed at me. "Yes," I replied, lying through my teeth.

"Couldn't he have called you or something?" Her eyes narrowed more and I could have sworn they were closed.

"Well," I paused before saying, "he doesn't have my number," I said, which was true.

"Couldn't he email you or something?"

"Kate, he is the CEO of a tech company, do you expect him to still use the email." I sighed again, exasperated.

"But everyone uses the email."

"Not Ivan Trevelyan."

"But you guys took long-"

"Kate, would you please stop doubting me." I sighed one more time looking up at my best friend.

"I'm not doubting you. I'm just being inquisitive and suspicious. You know? I'd never doubt you. I know you'll never lie to me."

I felt a pang in my chest. What the fuck was I doing? "Then, would you please stop? I'm really tired now." I sighed lightly again as I removed my shoes from my feet.

"Alright alright. You should stop sighing too much. You sound like you're trying to hold in fart or something." I glared at her playfully and she chuckled lightly. "So you're going to work tomorrow?"

"Yeah, obviously." I rolled my eyes.

"I'll go order some extra cheese topped pizza for dinner," she said in a sing-song voice and she hopped out of my room.

She really has mood swings more than a pregnant lady.

Okay, maybe not.

Right?

*

I slowly opened my eyelids and smiled. I had a feeling the day would be joyful. Then, I remembered what happened yesterday and Cheshire grin on my face melted away.

Oh right. I'm supposed to go to work. A very beautiful place with a very nice boss and whatnot. Can anyone hint the freaking sarcasm?

I hummed as I took a shower, wore a white button up shirt, a gray skirt I bought from the previous day, and tied my hair into a high ponytail.