Chapter II - Dinner

- Chris-

As Brianne and I went up the stairs to the dining room, I couldn't stop thinking about the blonde girl we saw at the castle entrance. What would make a woman so desperate that way? Brianne seemed to know something, but apparently, she would never tell me ...

When we arrived at the dining room, we noticed that Beatrice had already got everything ready. Dinner was set at the table next to the dishes. My father was sitting in the end chair, just waiting for us to arrive.

R: I thought it would take longer outside. It's such a beautiful afternoon ...

B: I was getting hungry, you know ...

C: I confess that I was also looking forward to this dinner ...

R: Ah, yes ... You must be curious to understand what is happening. What exactly do you remember? The blow to your head was hard, you were out for about 10 days.

C: Very little. I remember you, my family, and a few other moments with Brianne in childhood and adolescence. What do you mean, erased for 10 days?

At that moment, my father and Brianne looked at each other, as if they were afraid to answer me.

A: We were going to the neighboring kingdom to solve some problems and we had an accident with the carriage on the way. You hit your head very hard on the ground ... we thought you wouldn't be able to survive. We call on the best doctors in these lands to save your life.

I stopped for a moment and considered what he said. No, I couldn't believe him. I did not feel sincerity in his words. If the accident was as serious as it was said to be, how did I get hurt? How did they get out without a scratch?

C: I see ... But, what was happening at the gates just now? There was a blonde girl being taken by some guards ...

I could barely finish my speech. In an act of surprise mixed with anger, he slammed the silverware on the table and looked angrily at Brianne, as if he was scolding her for what happened. Suddenly, the atmosphere in the room became very heavy.

R: Did you recognize the girl?

C: No, sir ... we saw the scene from a distance ...

R: It was nobody. It was just a rebellious rubber cat from the castle.

We spent the rest of dinner in silence. We chose not to comment on anything else so as not to worsen the bad weather at the moment. After we were done, Brianne took me to the bedroom, our bedroom. I didn't really remember him. It had two beds and two closets. One for each of us.

Hovering over my thoughts and few memories, a question arises. I decide to ask my sister.

C: But Brie ...

B: Yes, Chrissy?

C: Where's mommy?