Chapter III - Are you sure?

-Chris-

Brie seems to freeze after hearing my question. This particularly scares me.  I remembered her a little while ago, with a lot of love by the way.

I still didn't understand what was going on. The accident, my family ... was still a lot to assimilate. After a few moments that felt like hours, she finally said something.

B: Look at Chris, mom, actually ... Well, let's go from the beginning. Me, you, mom and dad were in the carriage and ...

C: Just us? Are you sure about that?

B: Yes ... why the doubt?

C: I just wanted to make sure.

B: So, we were in the carriage and something happened, I don't really remember what, but it made it roll over with us all inside. Dad and I were fine, but you and Mom hit their heads. You've been out for a long time, Chris. And it was at that time that Mom ended up not resisting and ... died. Five days before you wake up. - She explains in a consoling tone

All the ground that I no longer had disappeared under my feet. How did I not notice the lack of decorations in the castle and the dark clothes? I felt like the last of human beings.

But I felt something was wrong. I have no idea what it would be, but it did. My intuition doesn't fail. And I was willing to find out.

I am removed from my thoughts when I hear something. Brie, it was probably taken from hers too.  Screams from the end of the very long corridor where we stood. Apparently, they came from a woman.

Without saying a word, we looked at each other and ran towards the source of all that agony.

We encountered a strange movement in that room.  I see at a glance that it was a young woman giving birth to a baby. From her robes, I concluded that she was the same desperate woman at the entrance to the Castle that Brie and I had seen earlier. I had seen her from a distance, I didn't notice that I was pregnant.

B: Come on, Chris. We better not stay here or we will create confusion.

She was right. We went back to my room where she left me to sleep. It was too late.

C: Good night, Brie. See you tomorrow!

B: Good night, Chris! Anything calls, okay?

And then she leaves my room. I close the door and do my personal hygiene.  He would need to sleep well to find out what was really going on in that castle.

-----------------------------------------------------

It was quite late when I passed the corridor, which was already emptying. I'm going straight to his room, because if he hadn't already called me, he would definitely send someone to call me.

I go into the living room and meet him, my father, facing the fireplace.  Without even turning to me, the questions begin.

R: Is he already asleep?

B: You just retired to your quarters.

R: He asked about Lisa, am I right, Brianne?

B: Yes, he asked.

R: And what did you say to him?

B: I said that she died in the accident.

R: With so many excuses to give ... did it have to be this?

B: Like it or not, we will not see you again. You know, deep inside. All because of your own pride and selfishness.

R: Enough of this matter.

B: What about the child? Survived childbirth?

R: Yes, everything is fine.

B: What do you intend to do now?

R: Wait and see.