Chapter V - The Scarborought Fair

"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

Remember me to one who lives there

For once he was a true love of mine..."

The fair was some distance from Chris's training ground. It was necessary to cross a small forest, a stream and an open field, to reach the well-known Kingdom fair.

Riding with speed through the woods, I felt the wonderful sensation of the noise of the leaves and the song of the birds that day has a melody for your ears. There was no more pleasant feeling. He stopped at the stream so that Angus, his horse, could drink fresh water after running so hard.

Arriving in the open field, very close to the village, it started to drizzle. A light rain falling from the clear blue sky causing goosebumps on Chris's spine to feel the slight drops on the back of his neck. The smell of lavender from the countryside intensified with the scent of rain.

With the rain already over, leaving a few puddles on the ground, Chris arrived at the village. He got off his horse and left him at the entrance with a caretaker while visiting the fair. He walked among the stalls with different types of merchandise. Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, grapes, peaches, fabrics, clay pots, flowers ...

As it was almost a tourist attraction in the Kingdom, it was a very busy fair. People walking with bags, in carts, with animals, bumping into each other. Chris continued to the last parts of the fair.

When arriving at the last tents, an accident happened. A horse that was being taken by a merchant was startled by a huge pile of peaches that came to the ground. The horse sped off towards a young woman who had her back to him carrying a basket of apples.

Chris didn't think twice. With as much speed as possible, he ran towards her before the horse hit her. He knocked it over, making the apples roll across the floor. Luckily, it was just in time. The agitated horse passed right by them, leaving no sequels.

C: Oh no! Allow me, miss.

Chris propped her up by the arm so he could lift her up.

C: I owe you an apology, young lady. What's your name?

They looked into each other's eyes. She, with an incredulous look, stared at him for an eternal 12 seconds. For a moment, Chris could have sworn he saw tears forming in the girl's eyes.

I: Call me Ingrid. I owe you a thank you, Lord.

They went down at the same time to collect the apples that were dropped. Then they got up again and she bowed to Chris in a gesture of thanks. They exchanged a faint smile and then the young woman made her way through the crowded market.

Chris, still interpreting everything that happened, returned to the entrance to the fair, mounted Angus again while returning home carrying some grapes to Mark, as thanks.

He didn't run with Angus on the way back. His mind was distant. The accident at the fair was something that really touched him. As I was passing through the end of the field, very close to the stream, a heavy rain started to fall. Chris hurried over, crossed the river with his horse and then took shelter in a kind of cave in the woods, to wait for the rain to pass.

Sitting, watching the rain fall on the grass and the appearance of puddles, listening to thunderstorms from the sky, he unconsciously whispered something to himself.

C: I know her from somewhere.