Chapter VI - Promised in marriage

-Chris-

After waiting for the rain to cool, Angus and I went back to the palace. I took him back to the stable and headed back to my rooms.

I stopped to do something that, in fact, I had never done after the accident: observe the details of my room. The shelves, the books, the objects in the drawers... They could reveal something about me.

Among papers and other antiques, I find a necklace with a broken crystal, in the drawer of one of the dressers.

I watched him for a moment and heard someone knocking on the door.

B: Chris? Are you in there?

I hid the necklace back in the drawer hastily.

C: Come in, Brie.

B: Glad I found you in time. Dad wants to talk to you and is getting furious for not knowing where you are.

C: Yes, so we better go.

We went to the throne room, where my father was waiting. I really worried whenever he needed to talk to me. It could be something bad, very bad, or really bad. It never gave us good news. Brie knocks on the door and then we enter.

A: Hello, son. How was training today?

He had his eyes on the window. I don't know if he didn't want to face us or if he was thinking of another lie to tell me.

C: It was really... tiring.

I felt hypocritical. But I could not formally say that I traded training for a ride around the fair. He would never let me do it again. And I couldn't risk it. Not now.

A: That's great. But anyway, we have a matter to discuss.

C: Of course. Which would be?

A: Your marriage.

I think I froze for a few moments. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I think that getting married would not help in my recovery from the accident.

C: What do you mean "my wedding"? I'm not in love with anyone, much less in a position to do so.

At that moment, he turned to us and looked me in the eye to speak.

A: See my son, soon Brianne will take you to the library and show you the geography of our region. Our kingdom, Scarborought, is alongside two others: the Kingdom of Villenwood and the Kingdom of Northconder. Ana, the princess of Northconder, is promised as his wife.

C: But dad, how can I marry a girl I barely know?

A: Understand, Chris. Marriages are just an agreement to unite two kingdoms and secure heirs. Life is not a fairy tale.

C: When will this happen?

A: It will take a while yet. I just wanted you to be aware.

C: Don't you think it will be detrimental to my memory recovery process?

A: I think it will be good. You will forget about problems for a while and when you least expect it, you will remember what you want. And Brianne, don't forget to take her to the library and explain a little more about the kingdoms.

Brie nodded. I, still incredulous at the cold and selfish insensitivity of the rulers, left without saying anything else.

B: Stay calm, it will take a while. You're smart, you'll find a way out. I also disagree with that kind of attitude.

In the end, Brianne was right. I would still find a solution.

So, after a long and tiring day, I retired to my rooms to sleep.