Who Cares?

Wondrously neither Angela or Danny were in when they arrived back. Honey didn't want to let Nash in her house but he insisted. She cringed visibly when she saw the empty liquor bottles and food carton that littered every surface and the overflowing ashtrays but Nash rubbed her shoulders soothingly and encouraged her to go straight to her room.

Unlike the rest of the house, her room was immaculately clean and neat. He took in the sparsity of her belongings though and calculated things in his head. He sat her down on the bed and took her trembling hands in his.

'Do you want to tell me about it?' he asked softly. Tears threatened to fall again and she held her hands up to her face. 'come on babe, talk to me sweetheart.' he whispered as he eased her hands away from her damp face.

'What is that??' he asked harshly as his fingers grazed her face and lifter her hair away. 'Sweetheart, who did this to you?'

'It doesn't matter.' honey muttered.

'Jesus Honey how can you say that?' he cursed as he tilted her face to get a closer look.

'Because nothing changes. No-one cares, tomorrow it'll be something else.' she said bitterly

'I care.' he said closing the gap between them and pressing his lips to hers. She felt all her doubts and stresses melt away as he kiss her deeper and his tongue invaded her mouth. She moaned in pleasure and Nash smiled against her mouth. His hand came up and he caressed her neck, pulling her closer. He was surprised when he felt roughness there. He broke away from her and she pulled her hair down tightly around her.

'Show me.' he demanded but she looked at him with huge eyes. Nash got up and moved around so he was sat behind her. Then despite her trying to prevent him, he lifted the weight oh her hair off her neck and examined the damaged skin there.

'They did it yesterday.' she admitted. 'My fault for wearing my hair up.'

'Who is they? and what the fuck did they do this with? Nash growled

'Dave Grady and Duncan Blaire among others. They were flicking gravel at me in class yesterday.'

'Blaine? Wasn't he the bastard that smashed the glass over onto you?' Nash asked through gritted teeth.

Honey gave a short laugh. 'Yeah, that's him. His main mission in life is to make mine miserable.'

'I don't understand baby.' Nash whispered harshly but kept his hands light against her skin.

'Look around Nash.' Honey said spreading her arms out. 'You met Danny this morning. he's just one in a long line of shitheads and losers that have been through her. My mom has fucked practically every guy from here to Phoenix then, between boyfriends, shes usually got her legs spread behind the main bar in town.'

'My uncle told me a few more things today. She sounds delightful, no offence.'Nash's voice was full of scorn but he pulled Honey back against his chest and wrapped his arms around her. 'Its not you though. You are not her.'

'People think I'm going to be her. She ruined marriages up and down the county. She's gone off and abandoned me for weeks while she shacked up with another loser then come back soaked in whiskey and raging like a banshee about how man are all bastards. She's been arrested and thrown in jail but she's still here and so am I.'

'Would you leave?' Nash asked as he stroked her arms lightly.

'Where can I go? I'm a minor, I need to finish high school. I have a job and am trying to save to get away but I can't go to collage now. I'll never afford that.'

'What did you want to study?'

'I wanted to be a teacher, little kids. Not like the fuckers in that school. They know what happens to me and they don't care.'