Secrets Revealed

Clay sat and listened to the saga that had erupted at Honeys house but made no comment until it was all told. Then he sat forward in his chair and took Honeys hands in his.

'Girly, you can stay with me as long as you like. If you want to stay with James in his room that's fine but if you want to use my other room that's grand too.' he said kindly and Honey flushed deep red at the mention of sharing with Nash. 'What? you two not want to be together?'

'Course we do Clay but Honey's not ready for that yet.' Nash answered solemnly as he hugged Honey to his side.

'Jesus boy, aren't you capable of lying next to a woman without jumping on her?' Clay grunted as he stood up to get himself a beer and handed one to Nash.

'She underage Clay, doesn't that matter to you?' Nash asked his uncle. He may be involved in criminal activity but he wanted to do right by Honey.

'Bah,' spat Clay 'One more night ain't gonna make a difference.'

'One night!' Nash gasped turning to face Honey who looked back at him with innocent eyes and chewed her bottom lip. 'Your birthday is tomorrow? Why didn't you tell me?'

'I didn't think it mattered. Mom isn't really into celebrating my life so its just another day.' Honey said quietly. 'Always has been.'

Nash hunkered down in front of her and looked up into her face. 'I'll make it special for you babe. I'll make you feel loved.'

Honey did nothing except look back at him. How was this gorgeous, enigmatic in her life? How long would it last? He had said he would stay for as long as she needed him but he would have to go back soon and then what?

'I see those doubts written right across your face, trust me sweetheart.' he murmured as he kissed her lips lightly and re-positioned himself at her side.

A thought occurred to her then and she spun to face Clay 'How did you know?' she asked in a wondering tone and her big doe eyes held him.

'Know what? About your birthday?' Clay asked giving her a broad smile. 'Your daddy was a good buddy of mine. I remember the day you were born, he was so proud. He'd always wanted a girl. A girl as sweet as honey he would say and then you arrived. Same birthday as his.'

Honey was floored 'Mom said she didn't know who he was.'

'Yeah, she would.' said Clay with bitterness. 'She was always a nasty piece of work but Austin didn't see it. He loved her.'

'What happened to him?' Honey asked with emotion thick in her voice. She felt Nash squeeze her hand, keeping her grounded.

'He died. Got into a fight and the other man had a knife. Austin never had a chance. You were about a year old at the time I reckon. Angela didn't really lose it till much later. I tried to look out for you but she would run me from the house. Gave up trying in the end. Your daddy would be heart broken to see his princess living the way you have been. He never had much but he'd have given you the world'

Honeys face was pale and taught 'Baby are you alright?' Nash asked gently as he rubbed circles on her hand.

'I need to go to bed.' she replied in a flat voice and she got to her feet. Nash followed and opened the door to his room for her.

Honey mindlessly started to remove clothing but Nash stopped her. He pulled out a clean t-shirt for her and slipped into the bathroom so she had privacy. When he came out she was dressed only in his top and sitting on the edge of the bed. Honey didn't move as the bed dipped under Nash's weight but she let him ease her back so she was laying along side him.

'I have a father!' Honey murmured

'Yes you do.' Nash said turning her into his body so he cold hold her properly.