Behind Closed Doors

When he got home, Clay stopped him before he could see Honey. 'What did you do?'

'What do you think I did? He put his filthy hands on my woman, he held a damn knife to her throat.' Nash barked. 'I wasn't going to let him roam about free. Now if you don't mind I need to make sure she's alright.'

'She's mighty shook up James.' Clay said glumly. 'She's in your room and has been since it happened.'

Nash nodded and headed that way. The door was locked so he tapped lightly. 'Baby? Can you open the door sweetheart.' The door clicked and he entered slowly. Honey was standing behind the door bud the bed showed that she had been lying on it. She had changed her clothes and her hair was wet, indicating that she had showered. Had she tried to wash away the feel of that bastard? Nash tried to reach for her but he breathing hitched and her eyes went wide.

He looked down at his hands and saw they were covered in blood. Danny's blood. Cursing softly he went to the bathroom to clean himself up. He looked at himself in the mirror and grimaced. Was it only that afternoon that Honey had say right there and let him touch her? He dropped his clothing on the floor and washed of the grime and gore.

When he returned Honey was still behind the door but she didn't panic as he reached out for her. She allowed him to lead her back to bed and lay down with her. 'Is he dead?' she asked in a flat tone.

'I couldn't let him get away with it.' Nash said softly. Honeys breathing picked up again and she trembled as a tear slid down her face. He tilted her face to his 'Honey, I need you to understand, you're my woman its my job to protect you.'

'He had a knife Nash. He...he..he..was going to...' she began to sob and he crushed her to him.

'I know he was princess. I know he was and that's why I did what I did.' Nash gritted out. 'I had to stop him from coming after you again.'

'Are you sure he can't get me?' she wept into his neck.

'I'm sure sweetheart. I shot him with his own gun.' he admitted, waiting for her to push him away. But she didn't instead she lifted her face and pressed her lips against his. It was only a brief kiss but it showed Nash that she wasn't lost to him.

He had worried that knowing what he had done would change her opinion of him and she would leave and go back to her drunken mother and wait for the next lowlife creep to arrive in her life. Maybe she would think he was as bad as the other men she had encountered but she still lay in his arms. He wanted to touch her and kiss her and make her feel good but she'd been through so much that evening he just let her curl up at his side; they talked until Honey fell asleep.

The next morning she woke up and found that Nash had been busy while she slept. His clothes were packed and his bike was loaded onto the back of the truck and covered with tarpaulin. She felt a stone plummet into the pit of her stomach. He was leaving! He said he'd stay for as long as she needed and now with Danny gone maybe he thought she didn't need him.

She hadn't seen either Nash nor Clay so there was no-one to ask. Honey, with her heart heavy, returned to the bedroom and threw her belonging into her bag and carried it out. She met the men on her way through the door.

Nash smiled warmly at her 'Oh good you're packed. I didn't want to touch your belongings when I did mine. Are you ready to go? I'm trying to make Denver by tonight.'

Clay spoke then 'Are you sure you've got everything girly? Be a while before I see you again I reckon.' Honey, unable to make words form, nodded numbly and walked towards the door.

As she passed Nash he gripped the handle of her holdall. 'Allow me.' he said lifting it from her fingers. She followed him out to the truck and watched as he dropped secured her belongings in the back next to the bike. She was surprised but then thought that of course he would drop her off first.