Chap 13 "Earthquake"

Steve's POV

For Thanksgiving, we went to LA to celebrate with Mitchi's family. I was in the kitchen helping Mitchi. I was cleaning as she was cooking. "So, how are your siblings?" I asked.

"Honestly, I don't know," Mitchi replied. "They're either in their teenage years or about to be." The house started shaking. "Oh no."

"What is that?" I asked.

"Earthquake," Mitchi stated as she got into the doorframe. "Kids!" Kala had Danielle in the kitchen doorway. "Where's Grandma?"

"Upstairs," Kala pointed.

"Mom!" Mitchi called. She was about to leave but I stopped her. "That's my mother up there."

"I'll go get her," I nodded. I made my way into the living room and the ceiling fan fell. I dodged it just in time. "That was close."

"Be careful," Mitchi stated. I made my way up the stairs quickly. "Steve?"

"I'm okay," I stated. The house stopped shaking. Before I knew it, Mitchi ran right past me into her parent's bedroom. "Mitchi."

"Mom?" Mitchi called.

"In here," Annie stated from the closet.

"Mom," Mitchi stated as she opened the closet. "Mom." She helped her mom up. "Are you okay?"

"Let's just say I'm glad I was buried under a pile of shoes rather than anything else," Annie sighed. "And your kids?"

"They took shelter under the kitchen doorframe," Mitchi stated. "I hope Dad's okay with Matthew, Lila, Samuel, and Victoria."

"Annie?" Deacon's voice called up the stairs.

"Dad," Mitchi stated. She ran downstairs and hugged him. "Mom's okay. She was buried under a mountain of shoes."

"I've told your mom she needs to get rid of some of those shoes," Deacon stated. Mitchi smiled as he hugged her. "I'm glad you guys are okay."

"Are you guys doing okay?" Mitchi looked at her younger siblings.

"Dad got us under a table," Matthew stated.

"I mean, I put them in a doorway because I know Dad's house has been reconstructed," Mitchi replied. "But you should find any sturdy piece of furniture to be under if you are in that situation."

"Or crouch in a corner with your knees to your chest, head down, and hands over your head," Matthew stated. "It's better your hands get hurt than your head."

"At least I know who's taking care of the family when he gets older," Mitchi smiled. Deacon's phone beeped and he looked at it. "LAPD SWAT is always needed."

"If you gotta go, we can get this cleaned up," I nodded.

"This goes to you two as well," Deacon stated. "All personnel needed for immediate help relief in San Jose." Mitchi looked at me. "Looks like the three of us are going to San Jose."

"Why not?" I shrugged. "We gotta visit Chin in San Fransisco anyways."

"I don't wanna leave Mom with half a meal in the kitchen and six kids," Mitchi replied.

"You guys go on," Annie nodded. "Your job needs you. The kids aren't little anymore. I got it."

"Okay," Mitchi sighed. "Just be careful of an aftershock, okay? Stay close."

"Mom, go," Kala pointed.

"Let's go," Deacon replied. We went with him to LAPD SWAT headquarters. I handed Mitchi her badge and she clipped it on her pants. "Just like old times, Mitchi?"