Chapter 6

[Shawn's POV]

 I would be lying if I said the vision in front of me wasn't extremely distracting. Camila is wearing a tank top with shorts and has paint all over her body and face. She's working on a project that involves a lot of colors, so now a part of her living room has plastic on the ground. I'm in her couch studying for a written test I have in two days but I'm having a hard time concentrating.

 " If you stopped staring at me maybe you could actually do some studying." She says stopping what she's doing.

 " I swear I'm trying, but you're making that a very difficult task." I say laughing.

 " Then I guess you'll fail your test on tuesday." She says in provocative tone of voice.

 " You're literally killing me right now." I tell her frustrated.

 " Just be sure to be alive for when my mom arrives." She says laughing.

 Her mother is coming to LA because of a project she's part of in the architecture company she works, so she'll use her time in town to see Camila as well. She's taking us to dinner and I have to admit I'm a little nervous to meet her. What if she doesn't like me? Camila keeps assurring me that's impossible, that her mother is going to love me.

 " What time is she coming again?" I ask pretty sure she'll be here at any minute.

 " 7 p.m." She says looking something on her phone. " Shit. That's in twenty minutes, I need to take a shower."

 She goes to her room, pick some clothes and enter the bathroom in a hurry. I'm already dressed up since I came earlier just to keep her company. I keep studying and ten minutes later she's out of the shower applying makeup in her room. No longer after I her phone starts buzzing in the center table.

 "Mila, your phone! I think it's your mom." I say looking at the screen.

 " She must be downstairs." She says walking into the living room and taking the call. " Hey, mom! Yeah, we're ready. We'll be there in a second. Sure, that's fine." She says on the phone before ending the call.

 I get up from the couch so we can go and a minute later we're leaving the building. When we walk outside the front door I see a woman that looks a lot like Camila but a couple decades older.

" Mommm!" Camila says hugging her mother and they seem genuinely happy about seeing each other.

 " Darling, you look gorgeous." Her mother says as they pull away from the hug.

 " Thanks, mom." Camila says smiling at her.

 " Aren't you introducing me to your handsome boyfriend?"

 " Sorry." Camila says laughing a little. " Mom, this is Shawn."

 " It's really nice to meet you, Mrs Cabello." I say extending my hand for her to shake but she goes for a hug instead, which makes both me and Camila laugh.

 " Besides being handsome he's also polite." She says looking at Camila after pulling away from the hug and then turns to me again. " Please, call me Sinu. No need for formalities."

 We make our way to my car and Camila shows me the way to the restaurant her mom and her usually go when she's in town. It's a simple restaurant, nothing like the one where she met my parents, but that only makes it look cozier. As we take our seats Sinu starts to ask Camila about her classes and it's fascinating to see how her eyes lit up when she's talking about her art.

 " So, Shawn, Camila told me you're a music major. That's really interesting. You play any instruments?" Sinu says turning her attention to me and she seems really interested in it.