Chapter 3

The sun had finally set and the sound of old clocks going off could be heard through out the manor. It was now 7o'clock and it was time for the guest to arrive. Sitting in your room, your heart skipped a beat hearing the 7 chimes. The ball was about to start... and you were petrified.
Walking downstairs in your newly gifted dress, the other servants complimented your beauty, but all you could think about was how terrified you were. Eagerly waiting as the minutes past by, you couldn't wait to see the ball room start filling up with guest. Looking around at the empty ballroom you thought, "I've done this a million times before... there's no difference now, right?" As you were trying to talk yourself into being less scared, the first few guest started to arrive. Once again, terrified at the thought of actually having to attend this ball, you hurried upstairs, hoping to find a way out of this.
Almost an hour had past and you were still cooped up in your room. Laughter and music could be heard from down the hall but you still couldn't bring yourself to walk out. All of a sudden, a knock was heard from your door. Getting up to see who it was, you opened the door to find your Master. A mixture of scared and embarrassment hit you as the young lord walked into your room. "Well?" He said, sounding a bit annoyed. "I invite you to my ball which you so badly wanted to attend and you don't even show up?" Hearing this, you were very surprised, how could he have noticed you were missing? "Was he looking for me?" You thought. "Sir I-" you go to say before cutting yourself off. You knew you couldn't get out of this. "I apologize" you said, flatly. You walk towards the door. "I'm ready to go now." Confidently, you made your way back to the ball room.
As you drew nearer, the music grew louder and your heart started to race once again. "I can do this", you told yourself. Finally walking into the ballroom, you suddenly realized that it was no different from being a maid attending the ball. No one turned to stare and the ball continued as usual. Even so, you hurried to the black wall. Remembering that you were only allowed to be an observer, you stayed put with your back against the wall.
Some time had past and you were starting to grow bored, realizing now that you went through all the trouble of getting nervous for nothing. Gazing around the ball room, you stopped at the sight of a young boy holding a glass of champagne. You noticed his elegant clothing and his beautiful blond hair. He stood about five yards away from you, blissfully minding his business. Studying the boy intently, you watched as an older gentleman backed up into him, causing Champaign to be spilled all over the young boy's plum colored frock coat. Seeing this, your maid duty's kicked in and you hurriedly walked over to the now, very enraged boy, yelling at the older man. Trying to calm him down, so there wasn't a scene, you stepped in between them and calmly said, "Sir there's no need to get upset, if you come with me, I'll get that champagne out of your coat." Almost immediately, the boy stopped and looked down at you. Looking up at him, he almost seemed to be in shock that you cut him off. After a moment, his expression changed, he clenched his jaw and agreed to go with you.
The young boy followed you out of the ball room and down the hall to one of the many bathrooms. Walking inside, we took off his coat and handed it to you. "You better know what you're doing." He told you. "Don't worry" you said, as you took the coat with a smile, which you noticed had made him blush. As you washed his coat, you could see the boy out of the corner of your eye, watching you intently, almost as if he was watching for you to make a mistake. Trying to relieve the pressure in the room, you decided to try to strike up a conversation. "You know, I never got your name", you said, looking up at him. He looked at you for a moment, then crossed his arms. "Alois Trancy" he said, almost sounding annoyed. Again you gave him a smile and said, "You're a lord, right? Seeing as the way you're dressed, I'd be surprised otherwise." He glared at you and quickly snapped back, "Of course I'm a lord." Hearing the way he talked to you, you finally decided that he wasn't interested in talking, so you kept your mouth shut.
After a minute of silence, the young lord seemed to be growing impatient. "Well?" He said, "Why'd you go all quiet?" As you finished cleaning up his coat, you turned to look at him. "Do you want me to talk to you?" You asked, having a flirtatious hint in your voice. Putting the lord at a loss for words, he huffed and rolled his eyes. "I want to go dance." He said before taking your hand and pulling you back towards the ball room.