Chapter 10

Walking alongside Alois, the two of you made your way through the large manor to the lord's study. Waiting outside the study, was a tall maid, dressed in purple. She held open the door for you and lord Trancy, then followed quickly behind. Without saying a word, she walked over to the mantle and quickly lit a fire before she left, leaving you and the young lord alone.
Shortly after, Claude brought the tea Alois had asked for. Holding the tea cup in your hands, you started to warm up. Claude, noticing you were still cold, wrapped a blanket around your shoulders. Staying quiet, all of this was still coming as a surprise to you. As a low class maid, you were never treated like this.
    "This is very gracious of you, my lord." You said, finally speaking up. "I'll be sure to make it up to you, by hopefully making a suitable maid." Alois looked at you for a moment, almost as if he was studying you. As you looked back at him, his usual, mischievous smile appeared on his face. "Nonsense" Alois said, as he leaned in closer to you. "There's no need for that. You're my guest of course." "Guest?" You questioned. "Well yes I suppose I am a guest, but there's really no need to waste your efforts on me. I'm here to serve you after all." With that, Alois chuckled. "Right."
    After a moment of silence, Alois spoke up again, seemingly trying to change the subject. "Anyways, it's getting late. I'm sure you must be quite tired from your trip. I'll have my maid, Hannah, take you to your room and help you settle in." "There's no need for that." You said, in response. Once again, you were quite surprised by the lord's hospitality. It almost seemed like he was treating you as a noble. "I really do insist." Alois said. "Someone like you should be treated as such." Standing up from his chair, he walked over to the study door. "I'll see you in the morning then." With that, he left the room. Right after, Hannah, the maid from earlier, walked in and bowed to you. Feeling a bit awkward, you didn't say anything. "I'll be taking you to your room, please follow me." Her voice was soft and quiet, and almost sad sounding as well. Her included, all the Trancy servants you had met, seemed rather odd. Because of this, you were feeling a bit uneasy but of course was going to give this job a chance.
    Waking to your bedroom, you assumed you were going to be sleeping in the maid quarters but on arrival, you were shocked to see that your knew bedroom was one of the guest rooms. "There has to be a mistake." You told Hannah. "I'm a maid, I shouldn't be staying in a room like this." Walking in, Hannah started to light all the candles, completely avoiding your question. "Would you like to bathe before bed, miss?" You looked at her in disbelief, how were you the only one thinking this was strange? "N-No... I'm alright. I think I'll just go to bed now." "Yes ma'am." She replied. "Your night gowns are in the wardrobe, and please ring the house bell if you need anything" she bowed once again and then left, leaving you completely baffled.
    Laying down in your new bed, it almost seemed too good to be true. You wanted to figure out what was happening but your eyes grew more and more heavy with every thought. Soon enough, your mind wondered, and you were fast asleep.