How'd we Get Here

Erin POV:

I took a deep breath and looked at Hailey.

"There's this guy," I started and paused for a few seconds.

"Which guy Erin, give us a name," I could tell Hailey was getting impatient.

"I don't know his name."

"C'mon Erin you got to tell us something, not just random useless pieces of information."

"I don't know what to give you."

"Let's start at the beginning why'd you come back to Chicago? Did you quit your job with the FBI?" Hailey questioned.

I thought about my answer. The day I'd come back to Chicago had not been a good one.

"Seriously Erin," Hailey interrupted my thinking.

"Yes I quit my job with the FBI," I sighed.

"Why?"

"I got bored," I was just being stubborn and it was making Hailey mad.

The door opened.

"Thank you Hailey I've got this from here," Voight slowly looked at me.

My stomach churned. If there was one thing I had learned from being in intelligence it was that you didn't want to be sitting opposite Hank Voight in the interrogation room. Hailey raised her eyebrows in a "look what you've done" fashion. Voight sat down across from me and I leaned back.

Voight POV:

I'd been the last one to arrive back at the precinct. No one had told me that Erin was one of our suspects. I'd been walking past the break room to see two of our guys being interviewed by Antonio and Burgess. I saw that someone had picked up Kemp and had him in one of the interrogation rooms. Ruzek and Atwater were  taking care of Kemp. When I walked further down the hall I saw Upton and Halstead staring into the last room. When I looked to see who was in there I saw a scene that I'd seen a few times maybe 18 years ago. Erin had been sitting there staring at me like she could see me through the glass.

I have to say I wasn't ridiculously surprised. When she stopped answering my calls and eventually changed her phone number six months ago I knew something had to be up. Instead I just felt disappointed that after everything we were back here. I watched Halstead and Upton try their best with Erin. Halstead had come out and joined me after a few minutes. Finally I had had enough so I went in there and sat across from Erin.

"So let's start at the beginning shall we?" I looked at Erin "First 6 months ago you stopped calling me, I find out from a friend that you left your job at the FBI, and you totally just disappeared off the radar from everyone. What happened six months ago?"

She chewed on her lip as I stared at her. I raised my eyes waiting for her to tell me. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. As I looked at her I didn't see the strong 34 year old that had worked in my unit. No instead I saw the thirteen year old girl being arrested for the first time for stealing from a grocery store. If not that I saw the fifteen year old who called me one day from her mother's old house asking for help, lying almost dead on the floor.

"I got a call," Erin started and sighed deeply "from my mother."

Of course it was Bunny. That women was always messing up Erin's life.

"And she asked you to come to Chicago for some reason?" I guessed.

She nodded, " She said she was in the hospital and that she didn't think she was going to make it."

I did have a vague recollection of a call going out to her house.

"So, you came down here only to find your mom in the hospital and you have to clean up the mess that she made?" I guessed again.

"Kinda yeah," she admitted.

"She was involved in some bad things and you had to replace her?"

"Sure Hank, since you have it all figured out why do you need me here?" Erin's voice was quite a bit louder than necessary.

I leaned back in my chair and squinted at her.

"Erin, if you would just cooperate things would go a lot smoother."

"I've been cooperating haven't I?" She stood up still yelling.

"I'm trying to keep you out of prison can't you see that," I yelled.

Her short temper had gotten me frustrated.

"How are you going to do that I'm already supposedly caught up in a drug conspiracy!" She slammed her fist down on the table.

"Talk to me and we'll figure it out," I relaxed in my chair.

She started pacing across the room.

"Sit down Erin," I said pointedly.

She shook her head.

"Erin. Sit. Down." I enunciated my words making each syllable heard.

Erin finally relented . She slowly made her way back to her chair and sat down.

"Now tell me what you're involved in," I said quietly.

"I ended up having to sell for a guy named Richard Carlos, he made threats," Erin avoided much gaze.

"What about your mother?" I probed.

"She lived and she's living in my apartment in New York."

"Okay, how'd they sell?"

"Anyway possible he has people undercover in schools, grocery stores, as amazon delivers everywhere."

"How were Wilson and the other two guys involved?"

"They were nobodies they got free dope in exchange for running some of the behind the scenes stuff."

"You were there because?"

"I was there because I was supposed to ensure they were doing what they had been told."

"So you were acting under orders from Carlos because you were fearing for your life?"

"At first yes, but then..."

"I don't care about the rest," I told her.

"We're going to go after Carlos. Assuming you're telling the truth and we catch this guy we can make a deal. Just don't necessarily mention anything beyond the fact that he threatened you in your statement. We'll try for a few months of court mandated rehab," she cut me off.

"Rehab?" She questioned.

"Yeah you're using aren't you?" I gave her a pointed glance.

She didn't answer.

"As I was saying rehab. Also you probably will have to stay in Chicago under observation and community service. That might be the best we can do. We'll see." I explained.

She nodded.

"Okay I need you to write down the times you sold and start writing a statement about what's been happening the past 6 months," I tossed her a pen and paper.

I stood up to leave.

"Hank," Erin whispered.

I turned around.

"How'd we get here. After all this time how did we end up back here?"

"I don't know kid but we'll do our best to get of this," I watched her as she adjusted in her chair "now get writing."