Without Looking Back

Jay's POV:

All the adults in the room stood dumbfounded as Henry simply stood up and looked with a curious expression at his misshapen arm. He didn't even shed a single tear though with the sound it made upon impact his arm must have been hurting terribly. Erin rushed over to tend to her injured son. 

"My arm hurts," Henry looked at her.

His lip then started to quiver as his eyes filled with tears. The reaction was quite delayed.

"Yeah, it doesn't look quite right does it buddy?" I asked.

Henry shook his head as Erin scooped him up in her arms.

"You two take him to med, I'll stay here with Nadia," Voight ordered.

"I'll call Will and let him know we're coming," I dialed up his number.

Erin took Henry my car and Will answered his phone.

I hung up and clambered into the drivers seat. Erin was sitting in the back gently stroking our whimpering son's hair. The ride was a silent one and Henry had managed to fall asleep in his mother's arms. Apparently she'd decided to forgo buckling him into his car seat. I parked the car and we exited the vehicle, Erin holding Henry.

His arm was turning a nasty purple color and had swollen up to twice the normal size. The worst part was the way it was bent out of shape. Will was able to see Henry right away which I was kind of surprised about because I'd assumed he would be busy. Erin gently woke up Henry and Will led us back to a room.

"Well that's not very pretty bud," Will said as he examined Henry's ever-swelling arm.

Henry nodded in agreement.

Will turned to Erin and me "There's no doubt that it's broken with it being misshapen and all, but we need to go ahead and do an x-ray anyway."

He faced Henry again "How'd you do this Henry?"

"I slipped," Henry replied.

"Well we're going to take some pictures of your arm, is that okay with you?"

Again, Henry nodded.

After the x-ray we only had to wait like five minutes before Will returned with the results.

"It appears that he has broken his humerus bone in two places and his radius bone. He must have taken a pretty nasty fall," Will exclaimed.

"Yeah, he landed directly on his arm," Erin agreed.

"We need to set the bones first and then we'll put it in a hard cast for at least ten weeks. I want to see him in two week intervals to check on the healing process."

We nodded.

"Now," Will addressed Henry, "This is going to hurt, but we need to do it to make you arm better."

Henry nodded. I sat down next to him and held onto his hand. Will set the bone in Henry's upper arm first. Henry let out a ear piercing shriek and started to cry.

"I know, I know it hurts I just have to do one more," Will moved to set his radius.

Erin and I were trying to comfort Henry, soothing him in anyway we could. Once it was done and Henry had calmed down he seemed to grow a new distaste towards his uncle. Over the last month Will and Henry had been getting along pretty well but at this point he was just ignoring every word Will said. Henry had selected a green cast and we left the hospital.

It was around 9:30, the process had gone pretty quickly. I dropped Erin and Henry, who'd fallen asleep in the car, off at Voight's before driving off.

Erin's POV:

I put Henry to bed first and checked on Nadia, making sure she was asleep.

"Everything okay," Hank asked as I left the room the twins were sharing.

"Well, Henry hates  Will now and he'll be in a cast for a while but he should be fine," I explained.

"Good," he nodded.

"Also, I know I was supposed to start work tomorrow, but I don't think Henry will be quite ready to go to preschool tomorrow."

"You can start next week, or you can bring him to the district with you. You could bring Nadia too, I'm sure the unit would love to meet them it's your choice."

"Has Jay never taken them?" I asked thinking that the unit would have met our kids by now.

Hank shook his head.

"Well I think that's a good idea then," I decided I would go ahead and start the next day.

I hadn't seen anyone really besides Jay since that fateful day when I'd gotten busted. I had a feeling it would be kind of weird sitting there answering phones all day while everyone else ran off into action but I was taking what I could get. I went upstairs and went to bed.

————————

I woke up the next morning before the kids. I quickly showered and opted to dress more casual. I threw on a olive green crew neck top over jeans and boots. I grabbed a black faux leather jacket and threw it on.

I made my way downstairs to the kids room. Henry was already awake, playing with some toy cars and his stuffed lion that I had handed down to him. I carefully woke up Nadia. I explained to both of them that they were going to see where Grandpa Hank and their father worked. Both of them seemed pretty excited about that. I got Henry dressed in a bright green shirt that matched his cast and zipped up his neon orange jacket that luckily was a little to big, otherwise, it wouldn't have fit over the cast. Nadia chose her own outfit that really didn't match, but I decided to let her wear the pink and purple polka dotted leggings and bright yellow sunflower T-shirt anyways.  She insisted on zipping up her jacket herself which took quite a bit longer than necessary.

After a quick breakfast we loaded ourselves into the car and Hank drove to the district. As I stood at the front entrance I felt a wave of nostalgia. I'd worked at district 21 for years before going to New York of course then I was a police officer instead of a hired civilian secretary.  I paused before going inside.

"You okay?" Hank asked.

"Yeah just give me a minute," I nodded.

He went ahead inside taking Nadia and Henry with him. I was going to be facing the unit for the first time in a while. It was pretty much the same unit it was before I left except for the loss of Al which I never had asked about.  No one had volunteered the information about his absence either. Besides that it was all the same people. I'd known everyone there for a long time bar Hailey Upton.  I knew that I'd hurt people with the way that I left and the way that I came back. I started to think that maybe I should have tried to get a job somewhere else. Anywhere else. But it was too late to turn back now. I took a deep breath and pushed open the doors. Going in, without looking back.