Chapter Eight

"Virgil! Virgil, please wait!" He could hear Patton holler as he chased after him. The emo, still with his hood up, kept his quick pace as he dashed aimlessly through the crowds and crowds of college students that flooded past him. "Virgil, let's talk about this!" He heard Patton yell out again. Virgil wanted to turn back. He wanted to face his best friend and talk with him. But Patton was not who he needed right now.

So the emo kept moving along. He weaved between some buildings, trying to duck into places Patton wouldn't see him go in to. He tried walking in front of people so Patton would lose him in the crowd and give up. However, Patton was more determined that his roommate gave him credit for.

It wasn't until Virgil started taking risks that he lost Patton. He came across an alleyway. One that was very close to the streets. One that was known to have high, drunk, and thieves always loitering in it. It was scary, but he knew he could lose Patton in there.

The emo shut his eyes, shrinking in on himself and ducking into the alleyway. He took cover next to a big garbage can. His breathing was wavering as he used his hand to quiet himself. He could feel his shaking grow as he heard Patton take more and more small steps into the alley.

Virgil shut his eyes harshly again, ready to bolt up and run if he needed to. Instead, however, the footsteps turned the other direction, walking away from the scene. Virgil released a huff of held in air. Never had he ever felt so relieved.

The emo stood up on shaky feet. He dusted his pants off, continuing down the alley. He didn't see anyone else inside it, so he figured it safe. That still didn't stop him from shaking like an earthquake all the way through it though.

He got to the end of the alley, seeing he was now on the other side of a busy street. The rushing wind of passing cars took him by surprise, almost making him fall over. Virgil was just able to see over the cars, the sign of a familiar looking home-away-from-home, Coffee & Creamery.

Virgil waited until there was a clearing in the cars to run across the street. His heart was quickly thumping with adrenaline the entire time. He never felt safer than when he finally walked inside the cafe.

When the little bells at the top of the door chimed, Virgil watched Remy turn towards the door. He was talking to some of his fellow employees before he had walked inside. Immediately, the emo felt bad for interrupting whatever Remy was talking with his employees about.

Remy's face lifted when he saw his boyfriend, but it quickly hit the floor when he saw how shaky, red-faced, and exhausted he looked. "Baby, what happened?" Remy asked, hopping over the counter to help his boyfriend out. Once Remy got closer to him, Virgil practically fell into his arms. "Okay, I'm gonna take my 5!" Remy shouted to the people in the back as he helped Virgil into a booth in the corner.

Virgil cried into Remy's apron. They were mainly tears of stress, but they felt like 1,000 pound dumbells as they rolled down his cheeks. "Baby, what's the matter. You never come in like this anymore!" Remy pointed out, lifting up Virgil's chin to gaze into his light brown eyes.

"You know the a-attack I told you about y-yesterday?" He asked.

"Logan's attack, yeah."

"Well, L-Logan got attacked ag-again. The man that attacked h-him kept accusing him of ruining h-his life. Dee thought m-maybe his attacker heard i-i-it from someone and accused Patton or me of telling someone. I t-told the guys that I-I had told you, and Dee flipped out." The poor emo coughed out one last sob as his boyfriend clutched onto him tighter.

"God damn, Dee. Messing with my boyfriend," Remy muttered.

"Why does he dislike you so much?" Virgil risked asking. Remy simply sighed, rubbing his nose with his free hand.

"How do I explain this?" Remy groaned, looking back at his boyfriend. Virgil was giving him puppy dog eyes, trying to pry the answer out of him. Based on his reaction, it was working. "Dee was my old neighbor when I still lived with my parents. We grew up together. We were even friends at some point. Unfortunately, when high school came around, he became jealous of something...someone I had," Virgil grew a little lost. Soon enough though, he connected the dots in his mind. "Old friend. But, after I moved out and broke up with that person, I just decided to cut him from my life." Remy explained.

"He was jealous of you?" Virgil clarified.

"Yeah. But it doesn't matter. I'm sorry he yelled at you. And I hope you know that I didn't tell anyone else." Remy insisted, pressing a kiss onto Virgil's forehead.

"I know. I knew you wouldn't tell anyone else. I trust you." The emo laughed, cuddling into Remy's chest. Suddenly, a man in a dark purple blazer, black jeans and dark red undershirt burst into the shop. Both the cuddling forms at the booth jumped in fright. Remy seemed ready to scold the stranger until his face morphed into something more like recognition.

"Anton?" Remy asked out. Said man turned his head. Upon seeing Remy, he visibly relaxed.

"Hey bro," Anton greeted back. Remy hopped up to hug his brother. Virgil watched awkwardly from the booth. He knew Remy had a brother, but he had only ever met him fewer times than he could count on one hand.

"You looked exhausted. I know what'll fix you!" Remy cheered, running back behind the counter and starting up the coffee machine. Both Anton and Virgil chuckled. They both walked up to the bar counter, sitting on the bar stools while watching Remy work. "You want some too, baby?" Remy asked his emo love.

"You know it!" Virgil shot back. As Remy finished up, he passed the cups to his brother and boyfriend, casually leaning on the counter.

"So, Anton, you barely ever come in here to see me. Something has to be really wrong then," Remy joked. Anton lightly joked, avoiding eye contact as he sipped his steaming beverage.

"I know. I try not to bother you at work, but I needed someplace to clear my head for a few," Anton sighed. "Ever since the stage manager graduated and I've taken over, my stress has been more prominent than ever. Especially the other night. That show was a disaster!" Anton expressed.

Virgil perked up a little, looking over at the brother in mild shock. "I-I was at a show the other night. It seemed fine to me." Virgil admitted, trying to make him feel better.

"I'm glad it seemed like that from your side." Anton unenthusiastically chuckled, drinking from his cup.

"Well...what happened?"