Chapter 15: I Have Fallen...

Aoi's POV

He truly did change... so what Satoshi was saying... it doesn't make sense. He was truly a modeled student. Now... he was reverting back...? The pieces just didn't make sense. "Well, Inosuke? Explain yourself."

"Aoi... he's lying-"

"Tell me how he's lying. I'll see for myself."

Inosuke nodded his head, sighing heavily. "He was eyeing you weirdly... I had to stop him."

Dumbfounded, I shook my head. "I-Inosuke, I can handle a guy like him. I get weird glances every now and then. It's doesn't bother me- until it gets irritating. I understand that you were trying to help me... but... Inosuke, you didn't have to..."

He shrugged his shoulders, shaking his head. "I had to. He basically told me that he was gonna ensure that he would have you by his side. I wouldn't stand for that, Aoi. A scumbag like him shouldn't be with you."

My hand became clenched over my heart as I heard Inosuke's words. At first, it sounds like he was trying to be a honorable person... I don't understand. Either way, I have everything right to start believing Inosuke. Satoshi... he wasn't much of a bad guy, but he was somewhat known to be... a better version of Zenitsu. Still, he had those aspects of Zenitsu.

"A-Again, Inosuke, thanks for the help, but I can handle myself."

"He's gonna strike, isn't he...?" He looked down to the ground, slowly making his way towards me. "Don't fall for a brat like him, okay? Do you... understand, Aoi...?"

Gasping softly, I nodded my head. "I know, Inosuke. Trying to place a blame on an innocent person... I won't stand for that. Even if you were a former delinquent. Anyways, we should head back to our campsite. We gotta wake up at 7 am in the morning. Breakfast would be served... I believe at 7:30 am." I turned to start our way back to our campsite, but Inosuke wouldn't go. "Inosuke?" I called out to him. 

He slowly began to walk with me. A soft growl was emanating from him as we walked back.

"Inosuke..." I slowly started off, sighing softly. At most, I was confused. Confused about... why he was protecting me. My mind wanders back to the time when he blatantly told me that he liked me. Was he still holding onto those feelings? Those times... was I just trying to hide my true self inside of my mind? "There's a real reason why you wanted to protect me from him... isn't there...? Why you changed yourself...?"

Inosuke stopped in his tracks... sighing heavily. "Of course you would know, Aoi..."

"So... it's because you still have feelings... right...? Feelings for me still. That's why you changed. That's why... you did that for me."

"I don't want to lose you to a brat, Aoi."

I chuckled softly, resting my head on my hand. "I'm surprised... you still want to be with me..." 

I tried to laugh it off... but I couldn't just laugh it off. My heart inside of my chest was pounding with pain. Tears wanted to fall down my cheeks, but I didn't let them. My knees buckled underneath me as I was washed away from this wave of emotion. I just wanted to breakdown. 

"Aoi!" Inosuke called my name with a hint of worry in his tone. I came next to me, holding me firmly in place. I shut my eyes, hoping I wouldn't see the laughter in his eyes. But I didn't shut them. I stared right into his eyes... "Aoi..."

Those tears began to slide right down my cheeks. "What... happened... to me...?" I say softly, wiping my tears. My throat began to clog up as the tears continued to flood down. "Why... am I like this...?"

Inosuke used his thumb to wipe my tears off my cheeks. He gave this slight grin... which brought a slight smile to my face. "Don't cry... it makes you weak. But for you... I'll allow it... now, rest your head, Aoi."

"I..." I slowly began, feeling these chains around me... they rotted and this weird feeling inside of me was spurting free. Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon. That's what I felt inside of my heart. Freely. "I've... fallen... from so high..."

"Aoi, what are you talking about?"

I chuckled softly, losing myself just a tad bit. "I thought of myself as a highly regarded person... so how could I have fallen from the top to the very bottom. What do I truly feel... I have no idea..."

Inosuke lifted me up, chuckling a bit. "Get over it, Aoi. It makes you seem weak. Let's go. I'm sure Kamoko's getting antsy."

I shook my head, trying to shake myself out of this reality. My legs felt wobbly as we walked back to the campsite. Most of the time, I just leaned against Inosuke to get myself steady on my feet. Though... Inosuke... he didn't seem that bothered. Now... I believe I had truly fallen. I've... fallen... in love.