Chapter 16

charlotte woke up in a sweat. another nightmare. she thought that she was getting better. but apparently her mind was still fucked up. sighing she swung her legs over the side of the bed feeling the coolness of the wood on her feet. quitly she tip-toed out of the bedroom, down the stairs, and into the living room. quietly she took a seat on the sofa, and lit a candle. She didn't want to alarm her parent by turning on the light. Charlotte bought her legs to her chest and lean't against the side of the couch, left to her thoughts. that's never a good thing, especially when nightmares seem to be the only thing runnig through her brain.

"Couldn't sleep" said a voice from behind her. she turned to see james holding two cups of cocoa, walking towards the couch. charlotte took the offered mug and placed it on the table.

"Something like that" she replied pulling the sleve of her jumped down to cover her bandages.

"You don't need to cover them, the bandages, they're there, you shouldn't be ashamed" Said james placing his mug of cocoa on the table and sitting next to her.

"Hate to think what they're going to think when i go back to school" said charlotte continuing to fiddle with the sleeves of her jumper.

"You lost the battle, yes, but you haven't lost the war" said james putting a comfortable arm around her shoulder. she warmed into the hug and the embrace of her father.

"I had another nightmare" Said charlotte, her fathers arm tightening around her.

"Wanna talk about it" said james planting a kiss on her head.

"Just the usual. i can't stop thinking about it" she said

"You're very much safe here, from them. they can't get you" said james.

"I know, but i keep thinking that i'm going to wake up and i'll be back in the cupboard in the dursleys" said charlotte, a tear sliding down her face.

"no one is going to let that happen ever again, and i mean no one" said james pulling her closer to him for safety.

"What are you doing awake anyway, it's two am in the morning" said charlotte

"Light sleeper. when you were a baby i was normally the one who checked on you during the night" said james.

"That explains alot" said charlotte rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"How much sleep have you gotten lately" asked James genuinly worried.

"Not alot, i tend to fall asleep to pain at around three in the morning" said charlotte.

"Do we need to go back to st mungos".

"i think i just need to get used to it" said charlotte.

James and Charlotte just sat in an uncomfortable silence. No words spared.

"So, you like school" asked James looking out the corner of his eye. Charlotte laughed.

"Yeah, if you count dying almost every year as enjoyable" said Charlotte looking at the floor. James just raises an eyebrow and Charlotte continued

"Every year some stupid deadly thing comes up and I get dragged into it, and then rumours get spread and one minute I'm an angle, the next I'm a devil in disguise" sighed Charlotte throwing her head back over the couch.

"I don't think I ever had that problem" laughed James, recieveing a glare from Charlotte.

" I'm going to be honest, I never thought that I would be a good father. And when your mum told me she was pregnant I was terrified. I didn't think I could rase a kid. Even with your mum. But when I saw you for the first time I thought you were perfect. And I knew I would do everything in my power to protect you. And I can't help but feel like I failed you" said James looking to the floor. Charlotte looked at him shocked.

"What, You didn't fail me. Without you and mum, let's be real, I wouldn't be here. And yes the Dursley's treated me like crap, but you never failed me. You and mum both died trying to protect me, and keep me safe. If that didn't happen than I wouldn't be who I am today. And you're back, which means you didn't fail me" stated Charlotte with determination in her eyes.

James just smiled. He couldn't wait to spoil his daughter; he couldn't wait to do all the amazing things she should have experienced as a child.

" you know, I'd love to hear about your hogwarts years. From what I've heard your a bit of a trouble maker yourself". Said James giving a grin. Charlotte smiled back, thankful that her dad was a trouble maker in his youth.

"That doesn't even begin to explain it" said Charlotte, who started telling her father everything that happened at school. They conversed for hours forgetting the time all together, untill they realised thy lily would have their heads in if they were awake when she woke up, and headed of to bed.

Charlotte slept through best she had in a long time. And James... well let's just say knowing his daughter was safe, and willing to open up to him made him sleep like a light.

Hey guys, sorry it's so short, And so long awaited. I'm doing online school atm so it's a little challenging. I really would like it if you commented some ideas. I was thinking about having a birthday celebration for the next chapter. Anyway thanks for reading and putting up with my slakiness ❤️.