Chapter 3: A Pleasant Return

"You were telling the truth." Nekar declared in surprise. Nekia looked at her brother and asked "Why would I lie about that?" "I don't know." Nekar responded. They then both looked at their father in disgust. "Father. Why would you do this? How could you?" Nekar asked. "I didn't want a daughter, so I locked her away. Back before Khotep ruled, girls weren't heirs to the throne. They weren't good for anything." Khoti explained. "So you locked her in a cell, where she wouldn't be heard? Where no one can hear her scream?" Nekar asked. "Yes. I had to do it for the sake of an heir to my throne." Khoti replied. "Shame on you, Father. For shame." Nekar exaggerated.

Nekia then added "Father. You know your name means clean and honorable of which you are none of those things." Khoti just snarled at his daughter's words, knowing that she was right. Nekar looked at her and asked "How do you know that?" Nekia looked at him and explained "Thoth told me." "Oh." Nekar replied. They both looked at their father. "I think I'm taking Nekia back to Cairo with me." Nekar exclaimed.

When she heard those words come out of his mouth, she felt the sweet release of freedom. She had longed to be free from her wretched father of who didn't care for her. The words echoed through her head like it was a ring of victory. Without hesitation, she looked at her brother and replied "I would love to come with." "Excellent! Well, Father. This has been fun, but we must be going." Nekar declared.

He looked at his sister and asked "Do you have any stuff you need to bring?" "I'll get it later. Let's go!" Nekia answered. She started to sprint for the doors with the others following her. She looked for every excuse to leave early. For she couldn't put up with the pain that her father caused her anymore. Once they got outside, Nekia inhaled the fresh air from the outdoors. Then, she stated "It's nice to be outdoors again after a long time trapped behind bars." They all walked through the gate and got on the chariot. They then rode off to Cairo. Once they reached Cairo, they all got off the chariot and Nekar welcomed his sister to his home.