Chapter 11

We were in his Chevy truck. I was chewing on the fruit bursts that I had found lying about on the floor where my feet should be, although they were actually on the seat due to me crossing my legs. He was driving with one hand on the wheel, the other placed on his thigh with his fingers drumming. His eyes were dead on the road and he was humming along to whatever was playing on the radio.

So maybe we had taken off from that dumb that was called the workers car park. So maybe Ashton was ditching work. So maybe I had no idea where we were going and I was relying on him to not hurt me in anyway, although he'd shown me countless times that he couldn't harm a fly.

I pulled a red fruit burst from the bag and unwrapped it from its paper wrapper. I popped it into my mouth and held out the bag to Ashton for what was probably the tenth time in the past twenty minutes.

"Want one?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

He shook his head. "I told you I'm fine"

"You are definitely from another planet" I declared. "What kind of person refuses fruit bursts? Oh right. You do"

Ashton laughed, his laugh filling the car and the volume of it going over the sound of the music from the band that was playing. He then held his hand that was once on his thigh out towards me and I dropped a yellow lollie that I had already unwrapped. "What happened to all men coming from another planet? Last time I checked we're from Mars"

I snorted. "Now who told you this?"

"My ex once forced me to watch that movie with the grey fluffy cat and some girl trying to get the attention of a bass player named Robert" He answered casually. The word ex struck my attention. "The name of it has snogging in it"

"Angus, Thongs, And Perfect Snogging" I clarified.

He nodded, as if to himself. "That's the one. She loved it a lot, always quoting the books"

I felt somewhat awkward. This was his ex girlfriend we were talking about here. Mind you, I'd talked about Michael a few bit too. I wondered if Ashton felt the way I was feeling when I talked about my boyfriend.

"It's a good movie" I managed to say.

He laughed again.

"I mean, Robbie is pretty hot" I continued. I didn't really know what else I should say.

"Lets change the subject" He suggested, obviously sensing that I felt weird talking about his ex. After all, it should be about us, not our current or previous relationships with other people. "How far do you think we have to go until I stall?"

"Five minutes" I guessed randomly.

"Add another twenty" Ashton told me.

A groan escaped my mouth. It felt like I'd been sitting for hours and I had pins and needles in my legs. Although it probably didn't help that my legs were crossed.

"Can you just tell me where we're going?"

"No"

"Rude" I looked away from him as if to give him the cold shoulder to make it seem like I was pissed. From the reflection in the passenger window I could see that he wasn't too concerned with my reaction, his head bobbing to the beat and eyes set forward.

I figured then that I should take a chill pill and allow him to take me on this little trip he wanted to do. What harm could it do? He'd been pretty trustworthy so far and Michael would never find out since there was barely any other cars around us surprisingly, so I highly doubted someone that we both knew would see me with another guy. If they did, I just had to hope that they thought that we'd broken up.