Chapter 14

Michaels mum opened the door. She smelt of chocolate brownie with a hint of flower. A smile was on her face, evidence that she was in a good mood. She welcomed me in and asked me to sit down on one of the bar stools that was next to the marble kitchen bench.

"Are you sticking around for some brownie?" She asked as she pulled out a tray from the oven.

"Ah, we'll see" I replied and looked over to the fresh bunch of flowers that were in a vase beside me. It figured now why she and the house smelt the way it was.

She stuck a glass of sparkling lemonade before me. "At least have a drink"

"Thank you" I took a sip, swallowed the liquid and commented on how nice the flowers were. The smile on her face went wider with my words.

There was nothing signalling that Michael was around the house. I guessed he was in his room playing on his Xbox like usual. It didn't take a genius to know that he had been on it all day despite school was on. Ditching was a regular activity for him.

"You know, I'm going to pay a visit to your son" I said eventually. "See if I can get him away from the third wheeler"

Michaels mum let out a soft laugh and grabbed a knife from the kitchen drawer. Then, she swiftly sliced two generous squares from the brownie she had baked and put them in some serviettes. She handed them over to me and I got the impression that one was for Michael. I shot her a smile.

I made my way down to Michaels room, and not bothering to knock on the door, I swung it open and marched towards his slumped body on the bed. A controller was in his hands and the TV on the dresser that was pressed against the wall opposite the bed was flashing images. I dropped the brownie into the now brunette haired boys lap. He only looked up when I did so.

I took a deep breath. I had been rehearsing this since Ashton last talked to me. "Hi"

"Hey babe" Michaels eyes ran up and down my uniform.

"We need to talk" I said.

"About what? How hot you look right now?" He paused his game. A smirk began to appear on his face as he put the brownie on his bedside table and started to stand up.

"No" I told him firmly, my eyes not moving from his. My plan was now out the window. I was going to do this from the heart. "I'm breaking up with you. We're over and please do not try to stop me from doing this. I know you aren't into me and I know you know that I'm not into you. It's not worth fighting for, Michael"

He looked emotionless for a few moments before sighing. It wasn't at all what I was expecting.

"I thought you might say that" He said finally. "And I'm okay with that"

"Really?" I raised my eyebrows.

Michael then grabbed the brownie that he had put aside and began to munch on it thoughtfully. All I could hear was the sounds of his mouth chewing on the treat his mother had made, and quite frankly, I was okay with that.

"Really. It was going to happen at some point"

"That's great" I felt relief wash through me. I thought he was going to get angry or some crap like that, but to have him being whatever to the entire situation made everything better. "I mean, not that we broke up. It's just great that you're all fine with this whole ordeal and not getting mad at me. I think it is so much nicer to have this break up being calm and such"

He shrugged. "Cool"

I chewed on my cheek for a few seconds before deciding to leave the house without another word.