Prologue

The coral blue walls were covered in blood. Thick, dark, red blood. Rosaline was staring at it, seeing it but not really believing it was there. It was everywhere, the metallic scent filled the air and made Rosaline want to gag. The blood that coated the walls was starting to dry, becoming a darker rust color. It was her parent’s blood. Their bodies laid just a few feet away from where Rosaline sat in a puddle of her own blood.

            Vaguely, Rosaline heard voices approaching from the hallway. One was light, but had an air of seriousness about it. The other was gruff and deep.

            “You know I don’t do this anymore, Yagari,” the lighter voice complained.

            “I know, but there’s a situation I need your help to take care of before the Association gets ahold of her,” Yagari replied.

            Rosaline saw two men out of the corner of her eye. The tall man with the curly black hair and one eye that had had saved her from the vampire stood in the doorway. There was another man with him. He was as tall the first, with long blonde hair tied back into a ponytail and glasses. He slowly walked toward Rosaline and crouched down in front of her. Rosaline watched as the edges of the man’s dark green coat started to soak up some of the blood off the floor.

            “I’m Kaien Cross,” the man said, introducing himself. “Are you alright?”

            Rosaline stared blankly at him.

            “Her name is Rosaline,” Yagari said from where he was leaning against the door jam. “We had to search around to find it, but luckily we found a family photo with names written on the back.”

            Kaien Cross looked over at Yagari. “Was she bitten?”

            Yagari shook his head. “No. I took off the vamp’s head before she managed to sink her teeth into the girl.” He sighed. “She did get played with though.” Yagari walked into the room and crouched down to the left of Rosaline. He slid the coat he had wrapped Rosaline in off her shoulder and arm, revealing the mass of bandages that swathed her upper arm, chest and part of her neck. “Her arm’s pretty damaged, so is her chest. When it heals, she’s going to have a nasty scar to remind her for the rest of her life.”

            “Who did it?” Kaien asked Yagari.

            Yagari shrugged. “We don’t know. I didn’t recognize her.” He looked at Rosaline. “I think she knows, but she hasn’t spoken a word since I saved her.” He looked over at Kaien. “Will you take her?”

            Kaien looked at Rosaline and nodded. “Of course.”

            That was a year ago.