Chapter Four - Why is it Always Vampires?

Kaname was sitting at his desk when a knock came at the door. “Enter,” he called out. Takuma hurried in. “What is it?” Kaname asked.

            “It’s Rosaline, she fell out a window,” Takuma began.

            Kaname got up from his chair. “What?!”

            “She fell out a window, I caught her and then she got scared and ran away,” Takuma explained. “I think something might have been wrong with her, but she was too scared to even talk to me.”

            “Where did she go?” Kaname asked curtly.

            “Toward town,” Takuma answered.

            Kaname nodded and walked around from behind his desk. “You’re in charge of the Night Class until I return.” Why was it always his luck to find the girls that run away from people that are trying to help them? It was starting to get frustrating.

            Takuma bowed. “Yes, Lord Kaname.”

            Kaname walked out of his office and down the stairs to the foyer. Hanabusa was still sitting there, this time with a book in hand. He looked up when he heard footsteps on the stairs.

            “Lord Kaname? Where are you going, it’s almost time for class,” Hanabusa asked.

            Kaname ignored him and walked out of the dormitory. He glanced at the sky. There was only an hour or so left until dark and Kaname needed to find Rosaline before then. All manner of dark creatures came out at night, the least of them being vampires.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

            Rosaline didn’t even notice when she entered town; she was trying not to look at anyone. She’d had a steady commentary from Sara, or her voice at least, all the way here.

            “I still think that you shouldn’t have run away from that boy. He was quite cute. He reminded me of my first slave, he had the same golden hair.”

            “Can’t you just leave me alone?” Rosaline asked quietly. No one was paying attention as she ran through town, but they would start noticing when they heard her talking to herself. She turned a corner and ran down a small street. It wound around houses and shops and ended at a small, walled courtyard. The courtyard was covered in cracked and broken paving stones. Grass and other weeds grew up through the cracks and holes. There was a fountain at the far end; with more grass and weeds growing around it. It looked like it hadn’t been used in years. With a start Rosaline realized that she didn’t know where she was; she’d never been to this part of town before and the sun was setting. She walked over to the fountain and sat down on the edge to think.

            “I can still feel what it was like to sink my teeth into his neck. One crisp, clean bite and his life force would flow down my throat. It was sweet, with a tinge of fear, just how I like it.” She sighed. “But your parents were a disappointment. To the very end, Kaede was determined to kill me. His anger ruined the taste of his blood. It was sour and bitter with hate. I’m amazed it didn’t make me sick.”