The Lodge House-------- Esther

CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, CLANG! The alarm sounds, signaling us to wake up. I don't exactly like waking up to Jack shouting at the top of his lungs each day, but I don't hear the church bells, so I really don't have a choice.

"Hey! Esther, Specs, Henry, Albert, Elmer! You heard Jack, let's move!"

The newsies yawn, stretch, and go about their business. I take a look around and I finally get up. I feel around in the dark until I find an old kerosene lamp. I light it and all the newsies groan.

"It's too early, Esther. Turn it off." Jojo yawned. Smalls is still snoring. That kid snores so loud that you can hear him from the topmost bunks. He rolls off the end of his bed and falls on Henry, who was readjusting his sock.

"Next time you fall, land on someone else!!!!"

"It ain't my fault, Henry. You shoulda moved."

"I'm surprised I didn't hear you coming down. You snore as loud as those church bells!"

The two bickered a bit more until Henry bucked Smalls off of his back. Smalls finally shut his mouth and put on his cap. He snatched a bag from a long line of hooks and ran out the door.

I grab my cap and put it on my head full of long curly brown locks. I may be a girl but that doesn't mean I try to look like one. I tried to look a little more like my fellow male newsies. I wore a gray tshirt with ruffles down the front and a darker gray vest over it. My pants were brown and I rolled them up so they were knee length. My shoes were gray and so is my bag and cap. I wear my hair in two french braids.

 I wear my hair in two french braids

"Hey Esther." Race walks over to me and rests his elbow on my shoulder. I pull away and laugh when he almost falls.

"What is it this time, Higgins?"

"I had the best dream last night. My lips is still tingling."

"A pretty girl?"

"No. There ain't a girl as pretty as you." I glare at him.

"So what was it then?"

"A leg of lamb."