King of New York----------Race

I blew it.

I let her go.

It's my fault Esther's not here.

"Aren't you going to drink anything, Race?" Davey asks.

"No. I literally handed Esther to the Spider. She was my best friend, Davey. And now, I'm not sure if we'll see her again." I push my glass away. Water doesn't sound good.

Nothing sounds good.

Having my best friend here sounds good.

But that isn't going to happen.

"Listen. I know you like her and would do anything to get her back. If you want, I can get Jack to check on her for you. He's going to see Crutchie. I'm sure he'll see her."

"That would be great, Davey."

No one seems the same. Esther and Crutchie are at the Refuge, Jack's disappeared, and it isn't the same without them. It's only been a day but it hurts like hell.

"I have to break them out." I blurt.

"Race, listen. It's too dangerous...to go alone. I'm coming."

"Me too!" Les says. He pumped his free arm into the air. Les had fallen while they ran home and he'd broken his arm from the impact.

"No. You are to stay with the boys when this occasion comes." Davey adjusted his brother's sling. Les pouts and attempts to cross his arms.

Jacobi walks in. "Drink up boys. And don't never say I don't give you nothing."

Albert is about to protest but he is cut off.

"And before you say water is nothing, just ask a fish in the desert." He exits into his kitchen.

"Why do old people talk?" Finch asks.

"To prove they's still alive." I answer. The door opens and the girl who interviewed Jack and Esther walks in with a newspaper.

"Good morning, gentlemen. Would you get a look at these glum mugs? Can these really be the boys who made the front page of the New York Sun?"

"Front page of what?" Romeo runs forward. I do too. I get there a little faster and take the paper.

We made the front page.

I take a moment to look at our picture and I see myself....standing next to Esther. Crutchie and Jack are in the front.

But this paper was a good thing. I'd be sure to show Esther next time I see her. Maybe Jack can take it with him to show her.

"Lookit! Would you lookit? Dat's me!" I say pointing at my picture.

"Front page and you ain't even dead." Jojo says.

"Where's me? Where's me?" Romeo says.

"Would you stop thinking about yourself?" Elmer says.

"Hey look! Jack actually looks like a gentleman!" Albert says.

"Get your fingers off his face." Tommy Boy retorts.

"Wait til my old man gets a load of dis. I won't be last in line for the tub tonight." Buttons chimes in.

Davey turns to the girl. "You got us in the pape?"

"You got yourselves in the pape."

"Newsies Stop the World. Now there's a headline even Elmer could sell." Mush points out. Elmer smacks him and we all laugh.