Harlem with Delancey------Esther

After all the papers are distributed, we take off to our selling spots. Today, I made plans to sell with Race and he insists that we go to this racetrack that he often sneaks off to.

I sit on a crate and pull a piece of paper from my pocket with Jack's latest sketch. It's a picture of a beautiful church with mountains in the background. And in his neat writing at the top it reads SANTA FE.

"I ain't got no idea where this track is

"I ain't got no idea where this track is."

"That's why I's taking you." Race pulls the paper from my hands. He looks at it, shakes his head and smiles.

"I'm gonna miss you when you go." He hands me back Jack's sketch and I stick it back in my pocket.

"Me too, Race. Me too." The circulation bell rings and all of the newsies scatter to their selling spots. Soon the air is filled with "Extra, Extra!" and "You heard it here first, folks!" Race takes off and I try to keep up. His brain may be slow, but he's fast. We weave through the dirty streets and countless allies and I try to keep up with Race as best I can. I turn behind me to what's left of the sunrise until I collide with another newsie. I fall on top of them and my head collides with the ground. The newsie picks me up and dusts me off.

"Are you okay?" I ask and finally open my eyes. This isn't a newsie at all.

It's Morris Delancey.

"I'm just fine. Cause you were the person I's looking for." He picks me up by my collar and slams me against the nearest brick wall. I try to call for Race but my mouth is covered. I struggle but Morris' grip is too strong. He punches me across the face. I flinch. I curl up into a ball in an effort to protect myself. He keeps soaking me until a voice stops him. Of course.

Of all people to show up it had to be Oscar.

"Hey. I'll take her from here." He cracks his famous brass knuckles and smiles deviously. Morris nods and leaves but not before kicking me hard in the stomach. I wheeze as the air is knocked out of me.

"Kelly!" Fear flooded his eyes when he noticed the state I was in. A very frantic Oscar rushed to my side and kneels down so he's at my eye level. I close my eyes and raise my arm above me face, waiting for the blows to come. Oscar lowers my arm and smiles.

"Are you alright?" Wait. He's supposed to be soaking me, not coming to my aid.

"No. I don't...think...so." I'm finally starting to catch my breath.

"Can you stand?"

"Sure, I'll try." Oscar extends his arm and I take it. I stand up just fine. I try to take a step but I come crashing down onto Oscar.

"Oof!" I roll over to the ground so Oscar can get up. A sharp pain forms in my stomach and I moan in pain. I feel something happen and I vomit.

"He got you good, Kelly." He helps me back up to my feet. Oscar bends down and wraps one of his arms around my back and one around my legs. He picks me up and I lay my head on his shoulder.