Some little Vaudeville--Jack

A/N: I am so sorry for updating for a while but I have two more chapters coming. 

We slip into a building that I instantly recognize.

"Slow down. We lost em." Davey and Les are panting and their hands are in their knees.

"Someone want to tell me why I'm running? I got no one chasing me. Who was that guy?" Davey asks me.

"That was Snyder the Spider. A real sweetie. He runs a jail for underage kids called the Refuge. The more kids he locks up, the more money the city pays him. Problem is all the money goes straight into his own pocket. Do yourself a favor and stay away from him and the Refuge." Davey looks like he's going to say something but stops.

"You said the Refuge." Les tells me.

"Yeah I did."

"Isn't that where Esther was from?" Oh no! She's probably worried sick at the Lodging House!

But before I could answer, a familiar voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Hey you up there, shoo! No kids allowed in the theater." I turn to face a woman in a pink, poofy, and revealing costume. Her hat was huge and adorned with feathers. A few strings of pearls hand from her neck. I've seen her in many costumes before but this is the best by far.

"Not even me, Ms. Medda?" I smile sweetly and step into the light. Medda recognizes me on the spot.

"Jack Kelly, man of mystery. Get yourself down here and give me a hug. Where have you been keeping yourself?" I hug her tight before I answer.

"Never too far away from you, Ms. Medda." I turn back to Davey and Les. "Boys, may I present Ms. Medda Larkin, greatest star on the Bowery today. She even owns the joint." Medda laughs.

"The only thing I own is the mortgage. Pleasure, gents."

"A pleasure." Davey answers and bows dramatically. There is no response from Les. Davey turns to see what he's looking at. Two of the Bowery Beauties are getting ready for the show. Les stares at them with his jaw on the floor.

"What's wrong with you?" Davey smacks him with his cap.

"Are you blind? She's got no clothes on!" Les says, still staring. I start to snicker when Davey turns bright red.

"That's her costume."

"But I can see her legs!!" Les says, finally breaking the trance that the Bowery Beauties put on him.

"Step aside so he can get a better look. Theater not only is entertaining but it's educational." She poses. "Got the picture, kid?"

"Ms. Medda, I got a little situation put on the street. Mind if I hide out here for a while?" I say.

"Where better to escape trouble but the theater? Is Snyder after you again?" Medda says.

"Hey Jack, did you really escape on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage?" Les asks me and I smile.

"What would the governor be doing at a juvenile jail?" Davey asks, completely confused.

"So happens he was running for office and wanted to show that he cared for orphans and such. So while he got his mug in the pape, I got my butt in the backseat and we rode off together."

"Is that when you met Esther?" Davey asks.

"No. I met her and took her in earlier this year. About five months ago, I think."

"You know the governor?" Les asks excitedly.

"He don't, but I do. Say, Jack when you have the time, will you paint some more backdrops for me?" Medda gestures to an earlier work of mine. "The last one you did was a doozy. Folks love it. And things are going so well, I can actually pay you." I shake my head.

"I couldn't take your money, Ms. Medda." Davey and Les stare at my painting.

"You pictured this?" Les asks.

"Your friend is quite the artist." Medda looks at me.

"Don't get carried away. It's just a bunch of trees." I point out.

"You're really good." Davey says.

"The boy's got natural aptitude." Medda says.

"Jeez, I never knew no one with aptitude." Les says.

Media's stage manager called her onstage. We watch from backstage.

(Play the song up top.)

At the last note, I look up and see the girl who I bumped into today. Wow, ain't she pretty. I decide to have a little fun so I leave the boys backstage and go up to her box seat to chat.