8. Other Wizards

I grabbed my rain cloak and threw it on, tightening the laces as I stuffed my crazy hair under the hood as I pulled it up. Fairfin studied what I was doing from where he had remained, sitting on Stormy's mane.

Soon it started trickling, which made Fairfin fly over and climb under my hair in my hood. There is definitely enough space for him to hide away from the rain with my hair taking up so much of my hood. I rode on in silence at the back of the pack, keeping my head down as the rain started dripping off my hood and into my hair, which began to drip down inside my clothes. I grimaced at the sight of how much of my frizzy red hair got wet, knowing it would be a nightmare to tame next time we stop.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf? Can't you do something about this deluge?" I heard a dwarf call, one I was unfamiliar with as I lifted my head slightly to see who spoke. Dori, I think? The rain had changed from a trickle to full on buckets being poured down on the ground.

And on us. My clothes were getting gradually more soaked in rain. While I am used to dealing with wet clothes, it doesn't mean I like it.

"It is raining, master dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done! If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Gandalf called out in annoyance. I speed my pony up a bit, seeing how I was falling behind, until I was behind Gandalf and Bilbo once more.

"Are there any?" Bilbo asked curiously, looking up at Gandalf on his horse. I kind of wish I had a spare rain proof cloth to hand the hobbit, he doesn't have one so he really is getting soaked by the rain.

"What?" Gandalf asked Bilbo, looking down at the hobbit. Fainfin croaked as he peeked out before making a small noise and hiding once more, right up against my neck so none of his feathers were out in the rain. It sure made things awkward on trying to move my neck, but his presence is a comfort that I am always willing to take. He is the only family I have, and with him around I never truly feel alone.

I bet many of you are wondering, how can I be over a hundred and consider Fairfin family when he lives so little of that time? Well, I can't explain it but he is nearly fifty-seven. I think it may have something to do with my ability but I am not sure, maybe he is a even rarer type of white raven that can live a long life? I do not know. It is a mystery that has mystified me for years. But I am grateful, it has also kept him by my side all that time.

"Other wizards?" Bilbo questioned. I too was a little curious about this, as I only knew of Gandalf. I knew there were others but I have never met them or heard their names. Lord Elrond spoke of a few, even of a leader of the wizards but never their names and only in passing.

"There are five us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, The White. Then there are the two blue wizards. Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names." Gandalf said offhandedly. Wow, wizard is getting old, I thought.

"And who is the fifth?" Bilbo encouraged.

"Well, that would be Radagast, The Brown." Gandalf said.

"Is he a great wizard or is he...more like you?" Bilbo questioned, nearly making me snort.

Gandalf sounded a little offended, "I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forestlands to the East, and a good thing too, for always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

The conversation fell away as I let my pony fall back after having heard the interesting facts about the other wizards in Middle Earth. I could hear the other dwarves making casual talk as we rode on through the rain, but i remained silent, not really used to talking on the road.